If You Haven’t Watched Atypical, You Are Netflixing Wrong

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

The Netflix dramedy Atypical is a show about a young adult that struggles with Autism and his family. Sam Gardner (Keir Gilchrist) is a senior in high school and is often referred to as being “on the spectrum” which is a range of ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder).

Throughout Sam’s life, his family has always taken care of him; his sister protects him from bullies and his mom protects him from — well — everything.

Since Sam is getting older, he wants for everything other teenage boys his age want — to explore girls. This change shows a huge step of growth in Sam’s development and it is very engrossing to watch him take on his goals and how his family reacts.

This show not only focuses on Sam’s goals and aspirations, but is also very involved in his family members’ lives as well. We see his younger sister Casey (Brigette Lundy-Paine) live through her aspiration to pursue her track career along with academics, friends, and boys. We also watch Sam and Casey’s parents manage Sam’s condition along with their careers, marriage, and society.

Source

Atypical is one of the easiest shows to binge-watch; each episode is only thirty minutes long and there are only two seasons (you’ll be wishing for more once you are done).

What I love about Atypical the most is the authenticity of the show. Each episode in this series has a fresh dose of comedy, drama, and real-life situations while making the reader feel just like one of the Gardeners.

The jokes are hilarious, the serious scenes are relatable, and you learn so much about ASD without realizing it. We even get a pretty impressive cast with Jennifer Jason Leigh and Michael Rapaport playing the parents in the show. I recommend this show to anyone looking for a new binge-worthy series on Netflix that you will cry to, laugh to, an feel apart of.

Kenya McLean is a junior and a marketing major at Salisbury University. She plans to graduate in the class of 2020 and loves helping out her campus community.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.