I Went to My First Drag Queen Show and Frankly, I’m SHOOK

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

I’ll be real with myself–I’m a pretty quiet and understated person. You would find me at the library, at class, and in my dorm. Not at a drag show. Honestly, I didn’t know what to think when I first bought the ticket forshow. The only taste of drag queens that I had before was from the one season of RuPaul’s Drag Race that I watched a year ago. I was ready to be underwhelmed. But instead, I was shook to the core.

I arrived in the room, and was met with a group of gorgeous drag queens who were confident to the T. The actual show was performed by professionals from D.C., including the wonderfully hilarious hostess, Stormy Vane. The two-and-a-half hour show was filled with the sass and glamour of professionals such as Tasha Vane and Erin Dane. What probably shocked me the most was the power performances of two of SU’s own students, as well as the performance of Miss Pinwheel, AN ACTUAL PROFESSOR ON CAMPUS. Oh, and the dance moves. I didn’t know how much I couldn’t dance or better yet walk in heels until I saw these girls do it better than Elsa ever did.

The lovely Erin Dane, at your service.

Frankly, this experience is beyond enlightening. All of the girls received standing ovations, and they were even asked to come back and perform once a month, if possible. To see these girls put on the show that they did and perform so effortlessly has given me a new perspective about what it means to be confident in your own skin. While I could never do what they do, I’m certainly open to learning more about the drag queens, and maybe binge-watching a few seasons of RuPaul’s in the process. In the meantime, I guess I’ll just have to wait for Stormy Vane to come back around, because after that night, you know there’s going to be an encore soon.

Kateria Rodriguez is a History major and English minor at Salisbury University. She loves to read, write short stories and poems, and make witty history references. If she's not writing papers, then she's in the library reading books, spreading positivity, and fascinating over what it would be like to be able to bake. She's pursuing her degree to become an international correspondent or journalist.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.