“I Love Salisbury”: A Review of The Annual Volunteer Event

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

As a college student, community service is very beneficial to the volunteers. Salisbury University has taken the initiative to encourage more students to participate in these service opportunities by creating an annual event called “I Love Salisbury.” Salisbury’s website explains this as an event in which students can “help clean up public, private and non-profit properties.”  The event this year was held on November 12, 2016 and it was hosted by Student Government Association (SGA). At the event, participants were congratulated for being included in the tally of students that registered which totaled over 1,000. This included members of student clubs, organizations and members of Greek life. Each group was given an address and materials for their task and after the opening ceremony, they proceeded to their assigned locations.

The location assignment was based upon the amount of people a group had registered for the event. In the event that a group didn’t have enough people to show up to volunteer, they would simply join another team and complete the tasks together. NAACP and Men of Distinction is an example of two groups that joined teams and raked one of the lawns belonging to a local community member.

I love Salisbury is a great opportunity for students to not only network between each other, but with community members as well. The community members that the students are helping, truly value the student taking time to come help them. A lot of college students might rather be doing other things but the students that came out to the event, really enjoyed making someone else’s day. Engaging in community service allows you to grow as a person and expand your view on the world. Not everyone is as fortunate as you are so you should take an interest in helping the community you are a part of.

Nia Avery

Salisbury

Nia Avery is a driven twenty-one year old who aspires to make a difference by having a positive impact on at least one person, every day. In high school, she was enrolled in a rigorous program called The International Baccalaureate Program. This is where Nia first learned that she had a love for writing however, her skills did not fully develop until she started writing and performing poetry during her last two years of high school. When she started attending Salisbury University in Salisbury, Maryland, she decided to bring her poetry to campus. At SU, she is in her senior year, majoring in Communication Arts and minoring in English. She is also proud to be a third-year Resident Assistant is making strides to ensure that students have a good experience during their time at SU. Nia plans to graduate from Salisbury University and continue her education by going to graduate school to earn her Master's degree in Conflict Analysis and Dispute Resolution. When she has free time, she enjoys hosting movie nights with her friends, writing poems or burying her face in a book.  Her favorite quote is "Be yourself and let your actions reflect your true character," a quote she created during her freshman year of college that has been a motivator throughout her past four years.
Jeremie Davis

Salisbury '18

Jeremie Davis is an ambitious eighteen year old who has plans to change the world. While writing for her high school newspaper, she discovered her passion for writing, in which she contributed numerous works to the award winning newspaper. Jeremie also has a strong passion for Theater. She has been acting since she was ten years old. Jeremie is currently attending Spelman College in Atlanta, Georgia, where she is majoring in Early Child Education with a minor in Theater and Journalism. Along with writing for Her Campus, Jeremie is apart of Tiger TV, a newly produced student-run news show, located on Morehouse College's campus. After two years Jeremie plans to go to Yale School of the Dramatic Arts where she will earn her Doctorate’s Degree in Fine Arts. In her spare time, Jeremie enjoys watching Netflix, belting out show-tunes, biking, and hanging with family and friends. Her ultimate goal in life is to become either a successful actress or a news correspondent in the entertainment world. She lives by the motto “If you work hard, you get to play hard.”