How To Prepare For Finals Week Before Finals Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

With finals week quickly approaching, now is the time to get everything in order so that you can succeed. You should be examining each aspect of your life that you can work on, so the future you will thank you. These tips will help prepare you for and save you from finals.

1. Sleep

I know you’ve heard this a thousand times, but it’s because it’s true. The amount of sleep you get directly impacts your physical and mental health. Getting plenty of sleep can also help with retaining information and having energy to study for those exams. I personally have always been a fan of naps, however tread carefully with naps as it’s easy to just stay in bed all day and accomplish nothing.

2. Do the Work Now

This also seems a bit redundant, but many college students are guilty of being habitual procrastinators, even during finals week. You don’t have to do all the work you’ve been putting off at once, but at least starting some of it will make your life less stressful in the future. It could be something as simple as outlining the four papers you have due next week or getting your notes in order.

3. Avoid Distractions

Getting rid of any hindrances now will improve your life. As I often say to my friends – usually when I’m buying an insane amount of cheddar cheese or bringing a fan to my friend’s house – I know who I am as a person. I know my likes and dislikes better than anyone else, so I know what will help me and what will send me into a Netflix binge-watching spiral.

Logging out of social media or not texting your friends back isn’t rude – I mean it kind of is – but your focus should be on pushing through these last couple weeks not hanging out. (Unless that’s the kind of studying that works for you.)

4. Avoid Going Out

“But Kaitlyn this is my last weekend to hang out with my friends and party before I have to move back home for the summer.” To that, I say “tough shit.” Your partying isn’t helping you learn the materials you should have known two months ago. If you can’t help yourself and need to get in one last weekend, at least try not to go out every night. Limiting yourself will help with studying and time management.

5. Calm Down

I get it. Finals are looming and that sinking feeling is settling in your stomach. Please understand that you are not alone, and working yourself up will only make you feel worse, and make it that much harder to get your work done. Whatever works best for calming you down – exercise, sitting outside, eating an entire block of extra sharp cheddar cheese – oh wait that’s me (everything’s good in moderation) – go out and do it. Having a sense of peace will clear your head when preparing for finals.

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.