This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Issa Rae is a an up and coming African American  actress, writer, director, producer and web series creator on YouTube. Although she has created other internet series such as Black Student Union, Issa was best known for her YouTube series Awkward Black Girl.

HBO had seen her potential and given Issa her own tv show called Insecure, which first aired on October 6th, 2016. She has received the Shorty Award for Web Show for Awkward Black Girl as well as a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Television Series Musical or Comedy for Insecure.  Additionally, Issa was announced to be the new face of Covergirl.  

As soon as I saw Issa Rae was immediately captivated by her. I rarely saw young black women who was a quirky and intriguing as opposed to a reality star or video vixen with an overly exaggerated personality. She felt so real and relatable.

She was someone I could have a conversation with and was famous because she was intelligent and hilarious. She did not have to rely on her body for her fame and was really making a name for herself. For the first time in a while, I saw a celebrity I could see as a role model who gave me motivation to pursue my own ambitions. 

Also, I felt her show Insecure gave a more relatable and in depth representation of the lives of young black women in the twenty first century. The characters all feel authentic and I sometimes forget is a fictional.  I would truly encourage anyone whose likes these kinds of comedies to give her content a try. 

Jeanie Amara is currently attend Salisbury University and her major is Graphic Design. She would like to work on an animation team as her dream career. An interesting fact about her is that she is bilingual in Spanish and is able to create videos using Adobe premiere.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.