Here is why you should listen to Steve Lacy’s music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Steve Lacy is an artist best known as a member of The Internet. Lacy began his career in music while still in high school. He co-produced the album Ego Death by The Internet, which was nominated for a Grammy and produced the song “Pride” on Kendrick Lamar’s Grammy award-winning album DAMN.

Source

As far as solo work; Steve Lacy has two mixtapes out called Steve Lacy’s EP and Laced Euphonies. Each mixtape encompasses Lacy’s unique sound that cannot be reproduced or duplicated anywhere else. Lacy produces an alternative R&B sound that tells various stories that everyone can relate to with a fresh spin. Along with Kendrick Lamar, Steve Lacy has collaborated with various artists such as Kali Uchis, J. Cole, Goldlink, and more! As Lacy promotes more songs representing his unique style, he gains a lot of comparisons to the critically acclaimed artist Pharrell Williams.  

Source

I personally find Steve Lacy inspirational not only because he is the same age as me, or the fact that he isn’t afraid to be himself, I found him inspiring after listening to his Tedx Talk entitled “The Bare Maximum.” On “The Bare Maximum” he explained how, while he was in high school, he only used the GarageBand app on his iPhone in order to construct his brilliant mixtapes that has accumulated millions of views on YouTube. Now that’s what I call genius and resilience!

Steve Lacy’s has announced his debut album is coming out on May 24th and I am so happy the world gets to hear more beautiful music!

Kenya McLean is a junior and a marketing major at Salisbury University. She plans to graduate in the class of 2020 and loves helping out her campus community.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.