photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

Global integration through music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Music has always been a language that is universal. It has the ability to make you move whether lyrics are involved or not. As more artists around the world begin to collaborate with one another, the world becomes more open-minded. In today’s age, music has so much power and is gradually bringing the world together one song at a time.

In no particular order, here are five songs that brought together different cultural backgrounds and languages (links to each song are in pink):

1.  “Gyal You a Party Animal” – Charly Black, Daddy Yankee

This song was originally only Charly Black but Daddy Yankee joined for a remake. As Charly Black is Jamaican and Daddy Yankee is Puerto Rican, the song blends together a great mix of their respective cultures and languages.

2.  “IDOL” – BTS Ft. Nicki Minaj

“IDOL” is a song that is heavily influenced by BTS’ South Korean culture and Nicki Minaj brings on a Western twist to it, making the two different worlds collide.

3.  “Let’s Shut Up and Dance” – Jason Derulo, LAY, NCT 127

Talent from the United States, China and South Korea were brought together in this song. Jason Derulo is an American singer/songwriter, LAY is a Chinese singer/performer and NCT 127 is a South Korean pop group.

4.  “Come Closer” – WizKid ft. Drake

In this song, Nigeria meets Canada as WizKid and Drake come together to create an Afrobeat tune.

5.  “Waka Waka” – Shakira

“Waka Waka” is a song that implements a blend of Shakira’s Colombian culture and African culture. It also features South African singer and actress, Zolani Mahola.

All these songs show that music is indeed a universal language.

Glory Ngwe

Salisbury '21

I am a Communication Arts-Multimedia Journalism track major with a minor in Business Administration at Salisbury University. I aspire to become an intelligent and creative leader in my field for the world I am growing up in.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.