Get Out: Jordan Peele Brings On the Horror

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Horror takes a plot twist in 2017.

Actor, director, and writer Jordan Peele released his trailer for his horror film Get Out Oct. 4. Many viewers were shocked after watching the trailer and definitely was not expecting the unexpected.

Viewers thought that because of Peele’s background in comedy that this would be a comedic trailer something similar to Ashton Kutcher and Bernie Mac’s 2005 film Guess Who.

Get Out is a story about an African-American male, Chris, who is meeting his Caucasian girlfriend, Rose, parents for the first time. However, there is a turn when he finds out that their home is cursed.

Through Twitter you can see people’s reactions to the trailer. Account user @Ricolani commented “Wtf did I just watch.” Many also tweeted, “We have to see this!”

Some people on Twitter who watched the trailer claimed that the trailer/movie was bad timing due to the recent incidents with African-American men and Caucasian law enforcement.  In one scene during the trailer you can see where the cop asked for Chris’ driver’s license even though he was not the one driving the vehicle at the time.

There are also two characters in the film, Georgina and Walter, who were hired to take care of Rose’s grandparents. Rose’s father said that he could not let them go once her grandparents past away.

Within that sense it gives one a thought about slavery and how African-Americans were used to perform specific house task.

Could Peele be using horror as a sense of a reality? That African-Americans have been living in a state of fear because of the color of their skin. I guess you’ll have to watch the movie and decide for yourself.

The film is set to be released February 2017.

Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.