This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

The Grammy award winning singer Fergie performed the national anthem for the NBA All Star game this past Sunday. To say the least, it was embarrassing to watch. (Watch Fergie’s performance here). 

It was definitely a new sound for me. Personally, I’ve never heard it sung the way she did.

She added a little too much flavor on the original making it almost a jazzy interpretation. The crowd reacted accordingly, holding back laughs, and trying to hide their facial expressions from the camera.

Out of all the confused and hilarious reactions in the crowd, Draymond Green attempting to hold back a laugh went viral.

Jimmy Kimmel, another All Star Game attendee, talked about his reaction on his late night show. “The reason why I was smiling is because I love the national anthem so much,” Kimmel said.

Of course you do, Jimmy. 

On Monday, Fergie issued an apology saying she tried her best and loves her country (not sure what that has to do with anything). She told TMZ, “I’ve always been honored and proud to perform the national anthem and last night I wanted to try something special for the NBA. I’m a risk taker artistically, but clearly this rendition didn’t strike the intended tone.”

What she should have done after reading bad reviews from social media, she should have laughed along instead of apologizing for something she worked hard on. But whoever told her this was a good idea is honestly not a real friend. 

I am a junior majoring in Human Communications, minoring in Market Management.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.