Donald Glover Wins Two Emmys at the 2017 Award Show for Hit Series ‘Atlanta’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Multi-talented celebrity Donald Glover has another amazing year after winning his first Emmy for his show “Atlanta”. “Atlanta” focuses on an adult black male trying to use his cousin’s new found rap career to push himself forward after dropping out of college. The show puts a large emphasis on black culture and living in a covert racist nation.

Glover’s show won two of the six nominations received, for Best Lead Actor in a comedy series, and Outstanding Directing in a comedy series.

Glover is the first African American to win Outstanding Directing in a comedy series. He was also the first person of color to win Best Lead Actor since 1985. During his speech for Outstanding Director, he acknowledged and thanked his parents, and director Hiro Murai, who according to Glover, taught him everything about directing.

“This really belongs to Hiro Murai. He had an eye for this show,” said Glover.

He thanked his partner, Michelle, and announced they are expecting their second child together when accepting his second award of the night.

Glover has always been vocal on injustices and social issues, and the 2017 Emmy’s were no exception.

“I want to thank Trump for making Black people number one on the most oppressed list. He’s the reason I’m probably up here,” said Glover.

Dave Chappell, a comedy legend, announced Glover’s win in the Outstanding Directing category. 

Amalia Parran is a senior at Salisbury University. She is Co-Correspondant for Her Campus Salisbury. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Currently, she spends her free time watching anime and volunteering at the Wicomico Humane Society. After she graduates, she hopes to work for a marketing company in the DMV area.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.