Cleveland “Easter Killer” Kills Himself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

The Cleveland “Easter Killer” commonly known as Steve Stephens is dead after a two day search for him. Stephens quickly became known to the police and the public after live-streaming the murder of an elderly man on Facebook.

The video of the murder shows Stephens walking up to the man, asking him to say Stephen’s ex-girlfriend’s name and then shooting him. The victim, identified as 74 year old Robert Godwin Sr. was a self-taught mechanic and grandfather of 14.

Stephens proceeded to post other videos mentioning killing fifteen people on Easter, however authorities say as of now there is only proof of the one murder. Following Stephens’ posts the murder video was removed from Facebook within half an hour and his account suspended.

Two days after the murder Stephens was spotted by an employee in a drive-thru McDonald’s in Pennsylvania. After calling authorities the Pennsylvania State Police troopers gave chase. Officers performed police maneuvers in a strategic attempt to disable Stephens’ car. Pennsylvania State Police say “as the vehicle was spinning out of control from the PIT maneuver, Stephens pulled a pistol and shot himself in the head.”

The hunt began after detectives were able to contact Stephens, but were unable to persuade him to turn himself in. Shortly after he was charged with aggravated murder. Police and FBI authorities say that over 400 hundred tips were received nationwide after the murder on Easter Sunday. Stephens only made it about 100 miles away from where the murder took place.

Godwin’s family released a statement saying “each one of us forgives the killer, the murderer.” His children said their forgiveness came from their father who raised them to believe in God and to stay with their Christian beliefs. 

Kaitlyn

Salisbury '23

Kaitlyn is a a dynamic communications professional with a passion for writing, strategic marketing, and creative video production. She graduated from the Maryland Institute College of Art with a Master's Degree in Filmmaking in 2023. Her writing there focused on documentary, narrative, and fiction work. She also graduated from Salisbury University with degrees in Communications, English, and Linguistics. Kaitlyn has devoted her professional and personal life to public service and bettering the lives of others through her skills. In her free time she enjoys traveling and spending time with her cats.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.