Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Casual sex and your body count…..Who cares?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Casual sex has always been seen as negative and embarrassing in our society. Most people believe that people will find out, people will judge, and that people will talk about you.

Honestly I used to be one of those people that thought that all the time. I thought people would judge and people would look at me different and that is why I never really engaged in such activity.

Then I realized that we are in college and that is just a fear I implanted in my head. I talked to a few people around campus and asked what they thought about casual sex and over 96 percent of the people I asked thought that casual sex was a cool thing to engage in.

Only 4 percent of the people I interviewed found a real issue in the matter and that was for religious reasons.  Most of the people (most were males) I asked said that there was a double standard when it comes to women casually getting busy, they said that they should be able to do what they want with no issue and that we are all grown and what you do is your business.

Source

We are all getting older, things happen, urges come and go and it is perfectly fine if you decide to engage in certain activities.  My only advice is that it is with a person that agreed to doing the deed, using protection, and the importance getting tested every 6-8 months.

I realize that some people believe that sex should be about love with a significant other and that is completely fine, I believe it too, but I also believe that sex should not be kept in a sacred box and only confined to relationships. Sex should not be looked at as such a harsh understanding.

Source

Some people actually cannot handle just having casual sex and that is okay, there is nothing wrong with that. There is also nothing wrong with doing it, if you can handle casual sex, I say go for it. There is no real harm if there is protection and consent. Your mind, your body, your business.

Source

Kiela Edmond

Salisbury '19

A senior at Salisbury University. Kiela loves food, traveling, and trying new things. It will always be a dream of hers to travel to Greece. She is an Exercise Science major that plans to work for the NFL or NBA. Kiela believes in body positivity! and loving yourself :)