This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

One of my favorite adult animated series, if not series period, is the satirical drama-comedy Bojack Horseman. It is a bizarre show centering around the complicated life a washed-up actor and anthropomorphic horse named Bojack Horseman.

The setting is in Hollywood, Los Angeles in a world where humans and sentient animals co-exist in society. Despite the strange synopsis and animation style of the show, Bojack Horseman is very much an adult show that deals with mature subject matter as its themes include: depression, anxiety, substance abuse, existentialism, nihilism, identity crises and loneliness to name a few. The creators initially present these themes in a more comically light in the first couple of episodes to allow the audience to be eased into plot as well as give them a milder impression of the sitcom so they can take viewers in utter surprise when the show becomes more serious to have a more profound effect on us.

This choice in writing works very well; although I did generally enjoy the show for its pun humor and weird aesthetic, it was not until halfway in the first season that I became addicted and binge watched all three seasons on Netflix.

Bojack Horseman is a very unique protagonist to analyze in terms of character.   Although he presents himself as a wealthy, carefree and arrogant Hollywood star to others, this exterior hides a very damaged, unfulfilled and self- destructive interior.  He had a difficult upbringing having been raised by verbally abusive and neglectful parents that never made him felt as though he was worthy.

This feeling of insecurity had caused him to develop a serious sense of worthlessness in his adulthood that could be seen in his lifestyle. As an actor on his award-winning show aptly named “Horsin’ Around”,  Bojack worked relentlessly to give the best performances that he could so he would be loved and around. While this accomplishment had given him stardom and great wealth, Bojack felt as though something was not right. His fame had not resulted in him achieving the happiness he so desperately craved.

Bokack’s entourage and fans may have liked even and idolized him but, it was not genuine love. They were in love with Bojack the actor, not Bojack the man (or rather horse).

The harsh realization all his work was for naught had lead him towards harmful recreational decisions such as alcoholism, substance abuse, and a reckless sexual life to fill the void in his life. He was not able to cope with all his inner demons and could not find professional help as he was not use to talking about his problems and had instead decided to ignore them and act as they did not exist. This caused him to not be able to really obtain any prominent acting roles, become in several Hollywood scandals and not be able to maintain many relationships.

The few he did were often very strained due to his selfish and thoughtless personality. Only when he meets his writer for his own autobiography, Diane Nguyen, does he start to self-reflect on his life and attempt to change has he has to revisit some painful memories and has someone who can empathize with his plight and is willing to work with him to change his ways.

This is a show I would highly recommend as Bojack Horseman is a show many will be able to relate to. Never in my life had I seen a show I could so heavily identity with as the writers had brilliantly crafted the show to express very universal common to human experience, and in talking animals no less. All of these characters feel so real and I want to for them to succeed because it feels as though I am watching a reflection of reality.

The show can be very depressing, but it can also be very inspiring based on how you interpret its messages. 

Jeanie Amara is currently attend Salisbury University and her major is Graphic Design. She would like to work on an animation team as her dream career. An interesting fact about her is that she is bilingual in Spanish and is able to create videos using Adobe premiere.
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.