A Brand New You By Using Glue!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Removing blackheads is quite fun!

Okay let me explain…

I am the type of person who loves to take care of their skin. Growing up I had acne and used multiple products such as Clean & Clear, Clearasil, Oxy and Proactiv.

As I grew older, I started to develop blackheads on my nose and use the Bioré strips from Walmart that cost about $7 per pack.

Eventually I stopped buying the Bioré strips because I had gotten my nose pierced and was scared that if I were to use them, my nose ring would rip out due to the suction of the strip, or would close up my hole if I were to take out the piercing.

When I wear makeup, at the end of the night I use the Equate Makeup Removal Wipes. Unfortunately, the wipes only remove about 80 percent of the makeup so I have invested in facial mask.

The two facial masks that I use are Charcoal & Black Sugar Mud Mask and the Pomegranate Revealing Peel-Off Mask by Freeman. When using these masks not only do they help with removing excess makeup, it also helps with acne. However, I still have blackheads remaining on my nose.

Over the past couple of months there has been this huge beauty trend where people create their own facial mask to remove blackhead by using activated charcoal and Elmer’s glue. That’s right, the same glue you would use for arts and crafts. After watching numerous YouTube videos and seeing people reactions of how painful the mask is I decided to try it.

Finding the glue was easy but trying to find the pills were quite hard. After three hours searching in Salisbury I finally found them at the Apple Discount Drug Store.

With the assistance and support from my boyfriend, we sat down and re-watched a couple of YouTube videos just to make sure we did everything right before we mixed the concoction. I grabbed a paper bowl from off the mini refrigerator and poured the glue in it. Then he helped me open four of the charcoal pills, which was a tad bit messy since the powder stained my bed sheet and left some residue on our fingers.

I grabbed my makeup brush mixed everything together and painted our faces with the freshly made charcoal mask. The mixture was cold against our faces and had a very sharp smell. As we put the potion on our faces it looked like we painted our faces gray.

“This feels pretty nice,” Brian said.

While we waited for the mask to dry for 45 minutes we watched “The Parent Trap” and I tried to eat my leftover Chipotle which was an epic fail. Since the mask was semi dry, I felt like the Tinman in “The Wizard of Oz” asking for oil while his mouth was shut. I had to push the rice through my mouth with my hands.

And now for the moment we have been waiting for.

Normally people who have tried this previously said that it was painful to peel off. Well since my pain tolerance level is high, removing the mask was relaxing to me. When I pulled the gray turned black mask from my face I could feel the extra peach fuzz on my face come off.

On the nose part of the mask there was numerous white pricks sticking out of the mask you would have thought it was a black cactus. The charcoal mask even pulled out the pus that was in my pimples that was on my face. My face also felt smooth and not dry as I expected since we had mixed it with glue. 

Surprisingly my face looked brand new. I could tell that some of the acne marks had disappeared as well.

Needless to say after years of spending money on high quality acne and blackhead removal products, this entire time I could have saved money by putting my arts and crafts box on my face.   

Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.