This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

At a lecture, the woman who was presenting shared that she had an 80 percent rejection rate. That number shocked me because the presenter was accomplished and was established in her field. The presenter wanted the audience to know that rejection is just as important as acceptance. It is the thing that lets us know where we need to do some work or studying or growing. The presenter claimed that we must all be comfortable with rejection if we want to grow. In theory, being comfortable with rejection is easy. Being comfortable with rejection is more difficult when the thing that your rejected from is something you have wanted for a long time.

I was recently rejected from an internship that I literally dreamt about. This internship would have allowed me to work on the issue of solving food insecurity through policy and activism. When I got the notification that was rejected, I cried for what felt like forever. I originally took the rejection as a personal attack. My resume proved that I was committed to working on the issue and that I had skills that could benefit the organization as they were working to resolve the issue, but the rejection was not about me.

Sometimes we can be qualified for something and not being what an organization is looking for. Rejection should not be taken personally. I was not what the organization was looking for in an intern, but I may be what another organization is looking for. In the time that I was crying and thinking about where I went wrong, I could have been applying to another organization. The moment that we step out of ourselves after rejection, we will fall into a new opportunity to learn from the rejection. Rejections does not have to be associated with failure. What the presenter’s 80 percent rejection rate taught me is that my work will always speak for itself, even if it doesn’t speak to everyone.

Morgan McGlone-Smith is a student at Salisbury University who plans to graduate Spring 2020. She is an English Rhetoric and Composition major who has minors in Conflict Resolution and Social Justice. Morgan values expression, learning new skills, and hugs. Morgan is excited to share aspects of her voice with other members of the HerCampus community!
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.