Beer Isn’t THAT Disgusting: 5 Beers for Beginners

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Before I jump into another article, I would like to remind you to drink responsibly. That includes people who are underage drinking. It can affect your brain and body’s development, so you should be of age and take precautions to avoid binge drinking or other dangerous drinking habits. 

Alcohol is a huge part of American culture, so much so we have liquor stores on practically every street corner. We drink for celebration, unfortunately some drink when they are sad, and (most importantly) we drink to enjoy ourselves. 

As my drinking journey started, I fancied highly sugared drinks and cheap drinks. As I’m getting older, my pallet is changing, so that is no longer the case for me. Besides wine, beer is now my favorite go-to, when a couple months ago, I would never look in the direction of malted liquor.

So what changed? 

I found a couple beers that weren’t as bad tasting as I previously imagined. Today I present that list to you. 

1. National Bohemian (Natty Boh)

Out of all the beer on my list, this one is the cheapest, and best tasting in my opinion. It doesn’t taste burnt, not too earthy or watered down, but the perfect balance.

Natty’s is around $5-6 for a six pack, and comes with a picture riddle on the bottle caps. 

I first started drinking it due to its cheap price, but fell in love with the taste and fun that comes with decoding the caps. 

2. Yuengling Lager

This was the first beer I’ve fully enjoyed. Though I dislike the taste of the bottled version (very burnt), it’s still one of my favorites. 

The taste can vary, but I mostly enjoy how easy it is to drink. There’s a slight bitterness to it, but after drinking for awhile you begin to enjoy it.

3. Angry Orchard 

This beer is more on the sweeter side of the spectrum, but still delivers a good flavor. 

This is probably the best beer to introduce yourself to if you haven’t made a full transition away from sugary drinks. 

4. Blue Moon Mango

Blue Moon’s Mango flavored beer is absolutely delicious. I also enjoyed their original flavor of White Belgium, but if you need an extra kick of flavor try mango. 

The price is on par with regular beer being sold for around $11-13 for a six pack.

5. Corona WITH LIME

The first time I had a corona, I was disgusted I’m not going to lie. But I recently retried it with a lime and it’s doable! The flavor changed so much I finally understood why they always have a lime in commercials. It’s worth a try! 

Is there a beer you like that didn’t make the list? Send us a message on our social media pages and we might add you to our Instagram story! 

Amalia Parran is a senior at Salisbury University. She is Co-Correspondant for Her Campus Salisbury. She loves to learn about other cultures, and how they differ from her own. Currently, she spends her free time watching anime and volunteering at the Wicomico Humane Society. After she graduates, she hopes to work for a marketing company in the DMV area.