david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

America’s Clowning Around: Terrifying Clown Sightings Across the Country

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Something unexplainably eerie has been happening as people continue to dress up in clown costumes, scaring and apparently trying to lure children into woods. What started as a few reports by parents in rural South Carolina has turned into a horror movie plot spreading across thirty-two states and counting. Although the clowns haven’t reportedly been violent, people are still scared and confused and with good reason. There have been a number of sighting hoaxes but several arrests have been made.

A @Spookyclowns twitter account posts submitted videos of clown sightings and has already gained over 160,000 followers.

Clowns have begun to appear near college campuses. If you see a clown take necessary precautions. Avoid walking alone especially at night. If you absolutely must walk alone walk in well-lit areas, away from alley ways and bushes and trees where someone could be hiding. If followed, immediately call the police and change directions if you can. Avoid carrying too many items and stay aware of your surroundings rather than keeping your eyes glued to a phone.

A group of at least 500 Penn State students banned together to go “clown hunting” on Tuesday. The mob formed after rumors spread that one was spotted near campus. The students didn’t cause any damage or injuries so no arrests were made for their rioting.

https://twitter.com/AddiCarson/status/783164393504792577

Police have warned individuals not to take the clown issue into their own hands. Numerous people have threatened to shoot any clowns that tries to scare them. However, even though these clowns are creepy unless you are shooting in self-defense a charge can be made against you. It’s unclear whether these clowns are dangerous or simply aim to scare people. Regardless, the best course of action would be to stay away from them or call the police.

Experts expect the Clown Craze will die down in the next coming weeks.  Unfortunately, they also expect it to return afterwards. Stay safe, especially with Halloween quickly approaching.

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself