Albums to Explore: N.E.R.D’s No_One Ever Really Dies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Everyone has heard at least one song by the hip hop and rock band N.E.R.D whether they know it or not. You have probably heard one of these hits from the 2000s such as “Rock Star”, “Hot N Fun” featuring Nelly Furtado, “She Wants to Move”, or even one of their latest hits; “Lemon” featuring Rihanna. Any of these ring a bell? This band, lead by Pharrell Williams, is now back with a fresh sound and touring around the world.

Source

N.E.R.D, began in the early 2000s and gave us the many aforementioned hits. They broke up and reunited a few times due to changes in their record label and independent projects. Officially in Oct. 2017, N.E.R.D released their fifth album self-titled No_One Ever Really Dies.

This album shows a lot of creative development as various artists in different genres of music are included. No_One Ever Really Dies features artists such as Rihanna, Gucci Mane, Kendrick Lamar, Andre 3000, Future, M.I.A, Wale, and Ed Sheeran.

Source

A few singles have gotten pretty popular already such as the dance hit “Lemon” and the single “Voila”. The music video for “Lemon” shows the talented dancer Mette Towley getting her head shaved by Rihanna and showing her smooth rhythmic moves.

“Voila”, featuring Gucci Mane and Wale, is on a commercial for Apple’s iPad Pro (2018) showing us a new sound for the rappers and unique guitar riffs. Every song on No_One Ever Really Dies is unique containing the classic N.E.R.D. feel with a new and modern flare.

My favorite songs on this album include “Voila”, “Don’t Don’t Do It” featuring Kendrick Lamar, “ESP”, “1000” featuring Future, and “Deep Down Body Thurst.” I encourage others to check out No_One Ever Really Dies because of how refreshing the different sound is compared to the overused trap beats that we get from other popular modern artists.

Overall N.E.R.D. is making one heck of a comeback and they are not playing any games!

Here is the most popular song Lemon.

Kenya McLean is a junior and a marketing major at Salisbury University. She plans to graduate in the class of 2020 and loves helping out her campus community.
Nadia Williams is a senior studying Political Science, Communications and French at Salisbury University. She enjoys writing about policy, media and culture. She hopes to use journalism as a tool to empower others to play an active role in their communities.