8 signs You’re an Extroverted Introvert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Salisbury chapter.

Living life as an extroverted introvert is far from child’s play. An extroverted personality seems to be favored in society, forcing others to mold themselves into fitting this standard. I’ve always believed revealing my true introverted self would result in some unfavorable opinions from others. We’re taught that being reserved and cutting yourself off from the world for periods of time isn’t going to work in your favor. This ideology is what creates an extroverted introvert.

1.You’re quiet around strangers but a complete lunatic with your friends

There’s a chance you’re shy around people you’ve just met. You turn into an entirely different person when you surround yourself with people you trust. From sitting silently in a corner to cracking jokes and laughing obnoxiously, you represent the best of both worlds.

2. Sometimes, just being in the presence of other people is enough

Talking isn’t always necessary. Sometimes feeling another person’s energy is enough to fulfill your human interaction gauge

3. Your texting game is atrocious

I can’t even begin to count the number of unanswered text messages flooding my phone. Unfortunately, my friends take it personally but the truth is, I don’t want to talk every moment of the day. You may feel mentally exhausted from communicating with your peers all day and need time to relax on your own. This period of winding down may result in a few unopened messages. Just try not to forget about them and nonchalantly respond 3 days later. That is, if you would like to maintain friendships.

4. Speaking of maintaining friendships, you’re probably terrible at it but you’re great at creating them

Not everyone understands your need to mentally recuperate. Your friends may think you’re uninterested in their friendship even though that can be far from the truth. The ones that do stick around appreciate being in your company whenever you allow them to.

5. You love to have fun but avoid making yourself the center of attention at all costs

Unless I’m on a stage, being the center of attention will always make me feel awkward and uncomfortable. Chances are you probably aren’t one to jump into the middle of a dance circle but you’ll gladly cheer from the sidelines.

6.  You get lonely, despite loving your alone time

It may seem contradicting but what do you expect from an extroverted introvert. There may be times when you argue with yourself about going out or staying in. On one hand, you want to socialize but on the other, your bed and Netflix are calling out to you. 

7. You don’t particularly like meeting new people but you’ll gladly introduce yourself to someone new with a smile on your face

You feel most comfortable around people you’ve created a connection with so meeting new faces may not be your favorite past-time. Your friendly nature leads everyone to believe you’re an extrovert when in reality ,you feel anxious about striking up conversations with strangers

8. Feeling as though every interaction you have takes a lot of effort

Depending on the mood I’m in, conversation with multiple people can feel like an arduous task. It’s as if my brain refuses to cooperate. You’re always able to push through but it’s still a fairly draining experience.

You may feel pressured to put on a sociable act during the day but never fail to retreat to your own space to recover at night. It can be complicated but the best way to maintain your sanity is by creating a balance in your life. Don’t burn yourself out attempting to be a social butterfly, but don’t isolate yourself for too long. 

Anjelique Wilson is a senior at Salisbury University, majoring in Communication arts. She loves musical theater and hopes to obtain a career in the arts. You'll often catch her singing along to musicals and watching her favorite youtubers. She joined her campus to be involved with a platform that allows her to freely express herself
Stephanie Chisley is an outgoing go-getter. Originally, Stephanie is from Oxon Hill, MD. She is currently a student at Salisbury University where she is studying Communication Arts with a track in journalism and public relations and a minor in Theater. While attending Salisbury University, Stephanie currently holds an executive board position as the secretary for Salisbury's Society of Professional Journalists . Stephanie plans on becoming an anchor for E! News or a writer, radio host, and announcer for BuzzFeed. In her free time, Stephanie is always on her phone scanning through social media, communicating with her friends, and finding new places to eat near her area.