You Need An LBD a.k.a. Leather Black Dress

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Let’s talk about the biggest trend we are seeing this fall and upcoming winter season. Not only are models seen rocking it all down the runway in New York and Paris fashion week, but it also been spotted in all our favorite retail stores. Still haven’t guessed what it is? Let’s discuss the “oh so fabulous” leather dress aka… an LBD.

If this go- to outfit is not already in your closet, ladies, I suggest you pick one up immediately. It’s the perfect outfit to accessorize with funky jewelry and edgy shoes. The trend setter in this area was Louis Vuitton (sorry it’s not just because I’m biased).

Nicolas Ghesquière set the trend in his Fall 2014 line when majority of his ready to wear collection consisted of leather dresses, which shows spliced leather designs with knit skirts for a patchwork effect. He took the leather look a step further and created a revolutionary belt and coordinating leather booties to connect the trend across the collection. As soon as his look hit the runway, the leather trend was sparked to various luxury designer brands. Frida Giannini at Gucci combined crystal-embellished and leather to recreate a 60’s minis. Christopher Kane took his own spin on the leather look and combined leather black dress with mink trimming. These are only three examples of how leather black dresses or LBDs have taken over the fashion scene.

Fall 2014

LOUIS VUITTON (LEFT), GUCCI (MIDDLE), CHRISTOPHER KANE (RIGHT)

Now let’s take a look at how we can embody the new leather trend, high fashion, and do-able prices!

Zara FAUX LEATHER DRESS $79.00: Short black dress. Fitted cut with seams at the chest and waist and a flared mini skirt. Round neck and short straight sleeves.

Mango PREMIUM – CONTRAST LEATHER DRESS $110.00: Fitted leather dress with suede back from the Premium collection. Round neck, cap sleeves and twin side pockets.

Velvet by Graham and Spencer AEGINA PONTI WITH FAUZ LEATHER PANEL DRESS $198.00: Fitted and sleeveless dress with leather panel cutouts. Deep V backless cut with pencil line fitting.

J Crew LEATHER PANEL DRESS $228.00: long sleeve tailored dress and finished with a two-color leather panel down the front

Any look is possible with your new LBD! Check out these stores and many more to find the perfect dress for you. Remember ever girl has a little bit of an edgy side and your new LBD is you prefect excuse to show it!

Photo 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Style Bloggist/Fashion Enthusiast/New York Inspired
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!