Why You Need to be Watching “This Is Us”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Over fall break I finally caved and started watching This Is Us. For the last few months I’ve been hearing from so many people how incredible the show was, so I figured I would check it out for myself. As soon as I watched the first episode, I was HOOKED. After spending hours on end binge watching, I finally understood the obsession people have with This Is Us, and I am now emotionally invested. I find myself crying, actually more like sobbing, every episode. I even took the risk of watching the show in an airport, and sure enough, I ended up trying to hide the tears running down my face. I’m still wondering why it took me so long to start watching because it’s definitely now one of my favorite shows on television. If you haven’t watched, you need to! If me sharing how much I love the show isn’t enough, take a peek at the five reasons below on why you need to start watching This Is Us RIGHT NOW!

1. The Pearson family is relatable: The problems faced on This Is Us are relevant. It reminds you that there are no perfect families. The show takes on many issues families are faced with, like death, racism, and sibling relationships.

2. It’s emotional: Like I said above, This Is Us makes me cry like a baby! Some people may be questioning why they would want to watch a show that makes them sad, but trust me, it’s totally worth it. There are so many shows on television today that have no substance to them. This Is Us has so much depth and really tugs at your heart, in the best way possible! Embrace the tears!

3. The acting: The acting on This Is Us is exceptional. One of the main characters on the show, Milo Ventimiglia, is known for playing Jess on Gilmore Girls. While watching the show, I sometimes forget he even played Jess because he takes on the role of Jack Pearson so well. Also, Sterling K. Brown, the actor who plays Randall, won an Emmy in 2017 for Outstanding Lead Actor for his work on This Is Us.

4. Interesting storylines: There’s never a dull moment on the show. Every episode will draw you in and make your jaw drop at the multiple plot twists that take place.

5. Everyone is watching: This Is Us is only on season two, but it has proven to be an absolute hit. There’s so much talk about the show and there are so many ways to watch. You can start from the beginning, like me, and watch on Hulu or you can jump right into season two by tuning into NBC on Tuesdays 9/8 p.m. CST to see what all the talk is about. I promise it is worth a watch!

Lauren is happily living life as a Communication Studies Major at Saint Mary's College. When not writing for Her Campus or studying for classes, she can be found binge watching reality TV or obsessing over Notre Dame Football.
Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.