Why Saint Mary’s Is Still Relevant

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

On May 19th, it was announced that Saint Mary-of-the-Woods, one of the oldest women’s liberal arts colleges, would become coeducational. The decision for Woods to turn into a co-ed institution was decided on May 1st and students, faculty, and alumnae were left in the dark throughout the year-long deliberation. Not to mention, the students entering the class of 2019 were promised a single-sex education. All students at Saint Mary’s-of-the-Woods were told that they would be receiving an all-women’s liberal arts college education.

An all-women’s education has truly helped me blossom into the woman I hoped to become. I attend Saint Mary’s College where one will often here the words, “Once a Belle, always a Belle,” which greatly explains the unique community at SMC. Saint Mary’s is a family. This family is full of confident, empowered, and intelligent women who’ve grown because of the benefits of an all-women’s institution.

The benefits to an all-women’s institution are vast. I believe, as many would agree, the first is self-confidence. An article on the Saint Mary’s website, Benefits of A Women’s College, states that confidence stems from the supportive environment as well as the leadership opportunities women are able to hold which greatly affects life in and outside of the classroom.  It reads, “Immersed in this supportive culture, many women’s college students confirm the resulting confidence and leadership skills pay off immediately: Students are taken more seriously in the classroom and feel more inclined to participate in class discussions. And those skills graduate with you”. So whether it be in the classroom, running for a leadership position, or even starting a new job, many students of all-women’s colleges have fostered the confidence they need in doing so. Personally, I don’t think I would have had the courage to run for Class President if it wasn’t for the encouragement I received from friends and even professors whom I barely knew. Thanks to them, I continued with the campaign and had a lot of fun! I, along with my Vice President Megan, was elected by members of the Class of 2018. It felt great to have a lot of support which helped me gain the confidence I needed to be an effective leader throughout the year.

Furthermore, women’s colleges encourage and support women who choose to study in STEM (science, technology, engineering, math). When it comes to the fields within STEM, one may find the fields very male dominated. Is it because women are taught at an early age that ‘math is for boys and english is for girls?’ I have a friend who attends Purdue pursuing a math and physics major and said that out of over 30 students in a smaller, more advanced physics class, there was only one girl. This evidence can seem like young women do not harbor enough interest for the sciences. When I look at Saint Mary’s, or any women’s institution, I see that evidence falsified. One of my good friends at Saint Mary’s is a math major and one of the smartest math students I’ve met. She’s proof, to me, that STEM is not meant just for men but for women too. It is great to see more and more women going into fields that women have not gone before.

Lastly, this school provides lifelong friendships unlike any other. Saint Mary’s students all chose to attend an all women’s college. They might not have known what to expect from this new environment, but there was no surprise in the fact that Saint Mary’s does not have male students. This decision made by all of these students was fueled by the fact that surrounding themselves with other amazing women would result in amazing friendships. The bond between SMC students is unbreakable. Whether best friends, roommates, or a complete stranger at the store with the iconic SMC ring, the bond simply cannot be replaced.

Attending an all women’s college is a unique experience to begin with, but learning alongside these women in class and living with them in the dorms allows us to grow together as we take on life’s challenges as a team. I’ve been asked countless times if Saint Mary’s has Greek Life, to which I promptly reply no, and people quickly answer their own question saying Saint Mary’s is like a giant sorority in itself. Even with the little knowledge I have about Greek Life, I know that Saint Mary’s is a sisterhood. The small school environment gives us an opportunity to grow closer to more students, bringing the whole school together in times of need. Saint Mary’s students band together whether it is defending our school when listed as the #2 school with the worst return on investment, holding our heads high when hearing some not so friendly remarks from students across the street, or in times like this; when the relevance of our unique and amazing college experience has come into question. The pride and enthusiasm Saint Mary’s students have for their school is unbeatable. Unfortunately there have been times when our school has gotten some not so positive attention, but nothing makes me feel more confident in my college choice than seeing the support that comes from times like these.

Whether it was the outstanding academics, the gorgeous charm of campus, or simply the credibility of this longstanding women’s institution, Saint Mary’s was the right choice for each and every woman who has had the privilege to attend, and will continue to be for many classes to come.

Sophomore at Saint Mary's College Plant-based enthusiast Nose constantly in a book Follow me on Instagram @ckoenig_14 where you will find flowers, friends, and not much else "Draco dormeins nunquam titillandus."
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's