jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

As a freshman in college I am constantly asked, “What do you want to do with your life?” My initial response to this inquiry is, “I am only 18 years old, how the heck am I supposed to know what I want to do?” In truth, though, this question really gets me thinking. After much deliberation I soon realize the answer is really quite simple. I want to follow my passion. I want to use the life I have been given to fight for the things that are important to me. I believe that every opportunity I have received has been given to me for a specific reason- to discover what I would fight for.

The fundamental thing we need to realize right now in our lives is where these passions lie. The best way to figure this out is to stop thinking about it. Passion is what is in your heart, not your head. Our minds are constantly trying to talk us out of the adventures our hearts seek. It is no secret that the future is a scary concept, but you can’t let this fear stop you from taking a risk doing something that could, in return, make your future much brighter.

A major key is to take action and really embrace every random desire to try something new. In addition to trying new things, take the things you already do and transform them by having a newfound sense of enthusiasm. You never know if the answer to your questions is right under your nose. I once read “Clarity comes from engagement, not thought.” So be proactive and take that art class! Do that internship! Join that club! Saint Mary’s and Notre Dame provide us with endless opportunities to transform our lives into pure passion and enjoyment of the things we do.

The question “What would you fight for?” is the headline of many advertisements for the University of Notre Dame. Among these advertisements are stories of men and women who have taken their education here and used it to make a difference in the lives of others. However, their education was not the only thing that helped them accomplish this. They used their personal development from participation in clubs, organizations, service groups, and faith based projects to make their story different than the average college graduate.

Take these examples and apply them to your own story. Find what you will use your life to fight for. Find the passion that makes your story different.

Katlynn Kennedy

Saint Mary's

Hey, I am Katlynn! I am a freshman at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN. I am a computational mathematics and computer engineering major. I am involved in many clubs on campus including our class board, the University of ND college republicans club, the Engineering club, and the Irish Figure Skating Club! I love The Big Bang Theory and The Vampire Diaries. My favorite color is red and my favorite animal is a tie between squirrels and ducks. I listen to alternative punk music, sleeping is my favorite hobby and love hockey and football. (GO IRISH!!)