sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

What It’s Really Like to Go to College Out of State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

1. You will be the most homesick on the first two weekends: This is something my Aunt told me was true and at first I didn’t believe her, but she was 100% accurate. When I was left in my dorm room alone on the first weekend before classes I cried most hours of the day.  Having my parents leave me in this foreign place felt extremely wrong.  During the week my classes kept me busy, but then again on the weekend I found myself weeping in my room all day. The quite on campus during the weekends proved difficult for me at first but after the first two, I never cried of homesickness again. 

2. You can do whatever you want, whenever you want (within reason): The best thing I found in the first few weeks of my college life was that I no longer had anyone telling me to wash the dishes, walk the dog, or wash the car.  Ultimately, college gives you the freedom to do what you want with only school policy to keep you in check. College was the first time I could stay up till 3 in the morning watching Game of Thrones without anyone yelling at me; whether or not that is a good thing is debatable. 

3. No matter how much you think you hate your home state, you will miss it: Since I was very young, I always hated my home state and complained about living there.  I always wanted to move away and complained about everything from the weather to the small neighborhoods.  Now that I am gone, I fee like I took a lot of things for granted about my home state. After all, there really isn’t THAT MUCH to do here in the Bend compared to my hometown (and most likely yours too).

4. If you are not bringing a car, you will miss driving more than anything: Ok, maybe not everyone loves driving as much as I do, but giving up my car was one of the hardest parts of moving to college. Driving was my only time to be alone and jam out like nobody was watching.  Leaving my car in the hands of my brother was terrifying, however, it forced me to learn public transportation and meet tons of peculiar Lyft and Uber drivers. 

5. Nothing compares to home cooked meals: Let’s face it: dining hall food isn’t the best.  Anytime I’m not eating at school is a good time. Sodexo could never compare to the amazing dishes your parents can produce. Next time you are home on a break savor every bite of that food your mom made you.

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.