A Warm Offer on a Rainy Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

We all have those days when we would rather roll up in a ball, stay in bed and avoid all interactions with the outside world. This day, for me, was last week Tuesday. I missed home, had two exams coming up, three papers due, and to top it all off I finished watching all six seasons of Gossip Girl. So needless to say, I was in a bad place.

As with most bad days, the universe senses that you are having a bad day and so decides to add more obstacles because well, why not. I woke up late that Tuesday morning, rushed to class, with the wrong sets of books in my bag and of course – it was raining. After my class, I was so beat down and on the verge of tears, I decided to take a walk in the rain. I put in my earphones and blasted Adele – because if you’re going to walk in the rain, you might as well pretend you’re in an Adele music video.

I ended up at the grotto and lit a candle. As I was getting ready to walk back I noticed a girl sitting on the bench with tears in her eyes so I decided to ask if she was okay. We ended up sitting there for about 15 minutes just talking about life, school, and music tastes. After our conversation I walked back feeling refreshed and happier.

Sometimes all we need is a kind gesture, and a smile from a stranger to assure us that we’re not alone in how we feel. And so, despite the weather and my miserable start to the day, I walked back in warmth and with a new friend.

Iman Omar

Saint Mary's '19

A human. Being.
Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.