Staying in the South: From South Dakota to South Bend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

The most common states that are generally representative of the Saint Mary’s community include Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, and California, just to name a few.  The Midwest region is strongly present in good ol’ South Bend, along with both coasts.  Would you ever imagine someone from the middle of South Dakota come to the (relatively) middle of the Midwest?!  A senior nursing major, Anna Cronin hails from Gettysburg, South Dakota, a town of approximately 1200 people in the middle of the state, and she’s this week’s Campus Cutie!

So why did you choose Saint Mary’s?  The South Bend weather, right? ;)

Yeah, exactly!  Just kidding, South Dakota has more sun than South Bend!  My grandpa and dad went to Notre Dame and studied business there, but I wanted to study nursing and Saint Mary’s was right there, and this was my number one choice!  I haven’t looked back since.  My sister Lilli is currently a sophomore at Saint Mary’s as well, so I’m excited to start/spread that trend with her!

When did you decide to be a nursing major and what motivated you to choose it?

I’ve always wanted to be in nursing for as long as I can remember!  When I was 10 and my younger brother was 5, he was involved in a freak accident where he sustained some scary injuries.  While we were in the hospital, I was so interested about how the doctors were going to take care of the injuries and fascinated by what they were doing to make him feel better.  The doctor told me that I had to move back from my brother’s arm since I was looking at everything so closely!  I’ve always wanted to help people feel better whenever they were sick, so this is what I wanted to do as a career.

You went to Uganda this summer as part of a nursing opportunity!  How did you like it?

There are no words how to describe how I feel, honestly!  I would absolutely love to go back, and that’s the best way to describe how I feel!

After graduation, where do you think you’ll work and what would you want to do?

I hope to work back in South Dakota in hospital setting.  My plans have been changing recently, so I’ll go with someone who wants to hire me!

What is your favorite thing or memory that you’ve experienced at Saint Mary’s?

There’s so much to choose from!  The friendships that I’ve made here are more like sisters than anything else, and that’s something that I’ve absolutely loved about Saint Mary’s.  The sisterhood is so strong here, which is unique and desirable for one to encounter during college.  Also, Notre Dame football games fun to go to as well ;)  Keeping up with my family’s events, like my brother’s wrestling matches (which I watch online or fly home for in person) while at school is also another thing that makes it memorable for me!

Anything else that we should know about you?

Besides being a HUGE Notre Dame football fan, I’m a co-captain for the SMC Dance Team!  We perform at halftime during the Belles’ basketball games and have a great time putting on a show for the fans!

Thanks, Anna!  Stay cute ;)

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries! 

I'm a senior Saint Mary's College from Hammond, IN that's an avid sports fan and a self-certified Netflix enthusiast ;) I'm majoring in Biology with a double minor in Philosophy and Gender & Women's Studies. I love meeting new people and making others laugh, which I hope to do so when I write for Her Campus SMC :)
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's