Spring Is Around the Corner: A College Girl’s Guide to (early) Spring Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Currently: The high for the week is 24 degrees. The sun has hardly made an appearance in months. The snow is no longer smooth and white, but slushy and gray. You’ve worn your Bean Boots 30 days straight, and you’re tired of washing the same four pairs of leggings every week. Your face is wind-whipped and you’ve gone through three tubes of chapstick in the last week.

Despite these depressing realizations, spring is upon us. And what’s your favorite thing to do as a season transitions? Shop.  So shake off that winter funk and treat yourself to a new spring wardrobe.

Going to an all women’s college seems like a reasonable excuse to dress sloppy, but once in a while, skip the sweats, ditch the messy bun, dress up, and walk to class feeling prepared to take on whatever the day may throw your way.

I raided roommates Annie McGarrigle (’16), and Megan Holthus (’16), closets to display twists on some of my favorite spring staples.

Being fashionable isn’t about playing it safe; just because florals and pastels are “go-to” spring styles doesn’t mean you have to stay within the boundaries of traditional spring attire. Try shaking things up with geometric patterns and camouflage t-shirts.

For some girls, it’s all about the handbag. Investing in one or two statement bags that are quality and go with multiple outfits is a practical solution to a bag-obsessed, budget-restricted college girl. Cross overs and leather messenger bags are always my favorite, but bright clutches and patterned purses are an interesting way to make a statement as well.

Every girl loves a great pair of shoes, so this spring, forget about the flip-flops and trade them for some fun and sophisticated flats and espadrilles. Gel flats give a polished look a youthful twist, and are my personal favorite this spring. Espadrilles, a type of casual-chic canvas shoe, are perfect for a spring break at the beach.

As of recently, oversized sweaters have become a must-have for many young women. Make a statement this spring with more form-fitting sweaters displaying funny block lettered messages, chic peter-pan collars, and simple earthy-toned color blocking.

When it comes to selecting jewelry, more is not always better and keeping it simple with quality pieces can really make an outfit.  Petite necklaces and dangle earrings paired with colorful bangles can make an outfit seem boho-chic while pairing a chunky statement bracelet or a classic gold watch with a chain-link necklace provides a more southern-prep feel to an outfit.

Dressing nicely isn’t just for formal occasions. Step out of your comfort zone, be confident, own your outfit, and regardless of what you’re wearing, you’ll be sure to impress.

And, always remember…

“Dress shabbily and they remember the dress; dress impeccably and they remember the woman.” ― Coco Chanel

Photos provided by the author