Seven Stress-Busters for Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Though referred to as “spring” semester, anyone who’s been in South Bend knows that the second semester of the school year is marked more by snowstorms and bitter cold winds than spring flowers. Of course when spring does finally decide to show up, campus is stunning and with Lake Marian and The Avenue colored in blossoms abound, we forget and forgive the winter vortex that northern Indiana mercilessly trapped us in.

For now, we bear the icy sidewalks in our zero-traction Uggs, fight off the wet snow with knee-length parkas, and brave the cold morning armed with the hope of a class cancelation.

Unsurprisingly, the start of spring semester brings on a lot of stress for most students, seniors especially. With graduation just around the corner, I know that I personally have been stress-eating leftover Christmas candy like it’s my job—not the best way to start my last few months here.

Maybe it’s the dark, gloomy skies or the freezing temperatures—whatever the case, my stress level never fails to rocket when I come back after Christmas break. In order to combat the threat of stress taking over, I’ve compiled a few other ways to beat the strain of the semester and find some peace in my day, if only for a moment.

1. Get organized.

For me, this mainly concerns my room, and more specifically, my desk. Without fail, by the end of each day, my desk is covered in clutter. But I have found that the longer I leave it that way, the more stressed I am when I walk in my room and have no place to study. Picking even just one area to reduce clutter in can help to clear out the clutter in your mind, as well!

2. Make a list.

I think most people would agree that writing tasks down holds you far more accountable to get them done, as opposed to just having a mental checklist. However, I have recently changed my approach to list-making. Instead of writing “to-do” at the top of my mile-long list of assignments and errands to complete, I write “goals.” It was a small change, but I noticed it had a big impact on my outlook and motivation to get everything done.

3. AROMATHERAPY

I am a sucker for anything eucalyptus-scented. I try to always have at least one stress-relief product from Bath and Body Works in my possession at all times—whether it’s lotion or a candle. My roommate has a diffuser, so essential oils are also growing on me. There’s just something about those relaxing scents filling my room that immediately calms me!

4. Take a warm bath or hot shower.

Speaking of calming…This is something I love to do when I get back to my room after a long day and can’t bring myself to start my load of homework yet. So, yes, essentially it is a way to procrastinate. But it can also be a good way to clear your head and thaw your body after walking through single digit temps!

5. Breathe deeply.

This one sounds silly, but it has really proven to be an effective strategy for fighting off stress or anxiety. When you start to feel it weighing on you, take a moment to close your eyes and take a few deep, concentrated breaths. Really focus on filling your lungs and expelling the air slowly. It’s a great way to revitalize your body and renew your focus.

6. Get up, and get out of your head.

When I find myself staring at the same page for a while but not taking anything in, I know I need a change of scenery. Sometimes, even my quiet, dimly-lit room saturated with the scent of eucalyptus and mint doesn’t cut it. When you feel yourself getting stuck and not being able to move forward, it is far too easy to let stress fill that empty space. Beat it by physically getting up and moving—whether it’s to a different building or room or even just for a short walk.

7. Plan something as a reward for the end of the day.

I have to admit that this is a stress-buster I probably use the most. I am all about incentive. For me, it usually involves food or Netflix, maybe even a combination of both (okay, usually a combination of both). But when I use these in moderation and as incentives, they can be used to my advantage. Knowing I have something delicious or relaxing waiting for me at the end of the day, I am able to better face the challenges ahead.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.