Overcoming Homework Blues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Is it just me or did break go by in about 4.7 seconds? As much as we all missed our new friends, the dread of returning to class is unreal. Thankfully there are simple alterations we can all make to take the “dying” out of “studying”.

Organize– believe it or not, an organized space and agenda is absolutely key to working at an efficient pace. Set aside a mere 5 or 10 minutes every night and morning to clean up your desk and agenda so you don’t face that anxiety attack looking at the clutter of papers and books piling up. Try investing in colored pens to separate classes while writing down homework and to avoid any possible confusion in assignments! My Lilly planner is my best friend in the most hectic times, so just allot time to go over your work daily. A clear space allows for a clear mind!

Decorate– make studying fun! Tumblr and Pinterest offer great ideas for cute ways to brighten up your space. If you’re someone who needs to be motivated to start tackling the workload, print off motivational quotes to stick up. Create a mixture of what inspires you to make a collage on a bulletin board. If you haven’t already, choose a color theme for all your studying supplies to make your desk space pop! Truly there are endless ways to decorate and change it up every once in a while. Decorating your space makes it more comfortable and inviting, even stress relieving!

Switch it Up- laboring away for hours on your wooden desk chair can turn pretty brutal. Finding a different place to work every day or in study groups can be a great change of scenery and lessens the boredom (if that’s even possible). This campus has so much to offer in terms of scenery so it won’t be hard to discover your new favorite study spot. Take advantage of the few sunny days we have left this year and work outside or gather a group of friends in your class to work in an empty classroom. No matter what working environment you do best in, there’s something for everyone. If all else fails, head across the street to ND to work and you will definitely see a good view studying next to all those cute guys…

Break it Down– eliminate that ever familiar feeling of crying at the sight of your week’s work load by simply piecing it day by day. Sure you may want to get your paper done at one time, but you probably have a thousand other things to juggle that are on your mind and odds are the quality of your work will be better when you can focus 100%. Don’t try and take on everything at once either! Accomplish the easier homework in between classes throughout the day and sit down later in the evening to work on the bigger assignments. You have more time in the day than you think and do not to let the work get the best of you! We’ve got this Belles!

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries!

Hi! I'm Reilly and I am a freshman at Saint Mary's College this year. When I'm not studying I enjoy watching Netflix with friends, read, draw, or practice with my photography skills!
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's