An Open Letter to My Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Dear Mom and Dad,

There are not enough words in the world to describe how thankful I am for you. You both have helped turn me into the woman I am today. We have always had a close relationship, but since I have been in college, I have truly realized how lucky I am to have you both in my life. There are a million things I could spend time thanking you for, but here are a few that have meant the absolute most to me.

Thank you… for always supporting me in my educational journey. I would not be at Saint Mary’s College if it was not for you both. You allowed me the opportunity to make one the biggest changes in my life, and you supported me 100% during the process. Even though I love it here at Saint Mary’s, every day is not perfect. Thank you for always listening to me complain and vent on the phone when I need an ear to listen to me.

Thank you… for being there when I had a broken heart. You two were the ones who were there when I was crying in the middle of night and feeling like the world around me was ending. You both were the ones that tried to constantly put a smile on my face. Dad, thanks for taking me to see Finding Dory, even though you did not want to see it, because you knew it would get my mind off things. Mom, thanks for always reminding me that it’s okay to be sad, but not to let it control my life. You both have made me realize the kind of man I deserve.

Thank you… for always trying to make special memories with me that I will remember for the rest of my life. Dad, thanks for the countless Notre Dame games we have gone to over the years. You have instilled in me a love for the Irish that will never go away. The memories we have created during these special father-daughter outings will never be forgotten. Mom, thank you for all the road trips we have gone on. I know that you work very hard on planning them and trying to make sure I have a good time. I would never trade in the memories of us singing in the car or you yelling at me because I’m not paying attention to the directions.

Thank you… for giving me a brother. Even though Jacob and I may fight and not get along all the time, he is one of most important people in my life. By giving me a brother, you have given me a friend for life.

And lastly,

Thank you… both for being two of my best friends. The older I get, the more fun we have together. Whether we are driving in the car, at a Notre Dame hockey game, abroad in Europe, or just sitting at home, you two know how to make me laugh more than anyone else. I would have never thought I would be saying you two were some of my best friends, but here I am, at 21 years old, proudly saying that.

Thank you both so much for everything. I love you more than you will ever know.

XOXO,

Lauren

Lauren is happily living life as a Communication Studies Major at Saint Mary's College. When not writing for Her Campus or studying for classes, she can be found binge watching reality TV or obsessing over Notre Dame Football.
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.