pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
pang yuhao kd5cxwZOK4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Once a Belle Always a Belle – Advice to Senior Belles from Recent SMC Graduates

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Well ladies, there is no denying it any longer- we are about to graduate. In about a week, we will be handed our degrees and forced to leave our favorite place in the world. These days will no doubt be filled with final meals in the DH, late nights at our favorite bars, tear-filled goodbyes, and emotional walks down the Ave. These will be the most difficult goodbyes we have ever experienced and we will cling onto these remaining days at SMC with all of our might.

Knowing that we will soon miss our college days and wish that we could have them back- how can we best spend our remaining time at SMC? What will graduation day really be like? Is the real world truly that big and scary? And has Saint Mary’s prepared us for what’s in store? There are so many daunting questions that we simply cannot know the answers to. That’s why I’ve gotten a little help from some recent Saint Mary’s graduates who were just in our shoes a year or so ago. Maybe the real world won’t seem so bad after reading what these lovely Belles have to say to us. See for yourself.

Monica Murphy – Class of 2013

Dear Saint Mary’s seniors and all Saint Mary’s women,

The college journey that you have embarked on came with a lot of thrill, discovery, growth and confidence. College is a time that challenges our inner core and allows us to use our judgment in order to critically think and act brilliantly. On graduation day, I remember taking a few minutes to reflect on what those four years did for me: remembering the collective wisdom I gained from professors, the faithful-filled friendships I formed, and the opportunities I had to develop my purpose. I encourage you to do that because it makes you more grateful. When you get into the real world, it may or may not be as “exciting” as it seems-at first-but as a recent graduate myself, here is my advice: just work on trusting in the journey. God has a plan for each of us and through each experience we are navigated towards our passions, purpose, and character. In moments when you fall, just keep going and you will be okay. Best to you all and congrats!

Tiffany Miller – Class of 2014

It has been almost year since I have graduated! My how time truly does fly. There have definitely been hard times since graduating and leaving SMC, but there have also been some really fun (yes fun) times since graduating! If there was one thing I could tell seniors that they needed to do in their last few weeks at SMC, it would be to just walk around campus. Sit in the grass by lake Marion. Go take a look at your favorite academic building. Say a prayer at the grotto. Wave to mary on top of the dome. Take in everything around you, because you will truly miss being on campus. I wish I would have taken more pictures of my favorite views of campus; looking them up on google doesn’t do them any justice. Take your own photos. I is such a beautiful and peaceful place. There is nothing like it.

Second, if you are nervous or scared about life as a post-grad: don’t worry. It gets awesome. Being an adult (in my opinion) has been really rewarding! Making money is a big plus. Having weekends off is super nice. Life truly works out for the best. Whether you are going into the workforce or continuing your education, I believe that it gets better. You might think college is supposed to be the best 4 years of your life, and in some aspects, it is. But post-grad life can also be some of the best years of your life. You just need to go forward with a positive attitude. (for those of you going into the workforce like I did, trust me, making money DOES make things a little better. I do not miss the days of ramen noodle and tuna from a can diets).

There are no words to explain how my education and experience at smc has prepared me for the real world.  Honestly, the day that I got my degree is the day that I knew I could do anything. There is no obstacle that I cannot conquer. My 4 years at SMC were the 4 most challenging and rewarding years of my life. Academically, it has made me realize that I am a lot smarter than I thought I was. My education has taught me to take pride in myself. I hold my head high. I’m not going to toot my own horn, but dammit I kick butt at my job. SMC gave me the tools to better my life. SMC gave me the confidence to last a lifetime.

As for graduation day, it WAS THE BEST DAY OF MY LIFE. I CANNOT EXPLAIN HOW GREAT IT FELT SHAKING MOONDOG’S HAND AND RECEIVING THAT DAMN DEGREE. 4 years of literal blood, sweat, and tears. I could not stop smiling that day. Getting my degree meant so much to me because I am a first generation college student in my family. Nothing can take away education (besides the government if you don’t pay back your student loans lol)! I take so much pride in my degree. It’s my favorite piece of paper. I am most thankful for my professors who challenged me both academically and personally. they helped me grow into the smart, intelligent, and proud woman I am today. I also met the best people while I was in band. I am lucky enough to call them my friends. My friends will, and are, doing great things in this world. I am truly blessed.

Theresa Bajorek – Class of 2014

What would you say to SMC seniors who are nervous/scared about life after graduation? I would say: Don’t be scared. Don’t be nervous. Those are terms that defined the little girl you were 4 years ago. By attending Saint Mary’s, you have gained new skills and an outlook on life that you can use to tackle anything the world throws at you from now on. I’m not saying you’ll know exactly what to do all the time or that things will be easy for you. But that doesn’t matter. You have the skills and the smarts to figure it out now. So go confidently. No excuses. Period. You’re a better you than you’ve ever been before.

I was most thankful for the people I met during my time at SMC. I met a rainbow of people, and I’m not just talking about skin color. I met so many people and they’re all amazing. I met my now fiancé at ND (There is such a thing as ring after NEXT spring) and friends I know I’ll be texting at midnight on a Tuesday when I’m 80. Though, just as importantly, I met people who changed how I saw the world. They were people I didn’t always agree with, and they were people I wound up admiring more than they ever knew (I wish they knew). At SMC, I learned how to appreciate all these different people and their backgrounds and opinions of things while still staying grounded in my own skin. I learned how to be me in a world full of ….not me, and be happy with it too. Even the random people I only saw in a class or two. I never forgot them and how they helped shape who I am now.

I hope you graduate feeling fulfilled and happy with what you’ve learned and how far you’ve come! You’re so blessed.

Natalie Burkart – Class of 2012

What would I tell seniors to make sure to do in their last few weeks at SMC? Stay up late with your roommates. Reminisce. Go to the Backer (or if you a have a different favorite bar, go there – but seriously people, the Backer should be your favorite). Take LOTS of pictures. Really try to appreciate your time in class – you’ll be surprised how much you miss it. Thank your professors. Explore every last corner of campus. Walk to the grotto when the sky is blue and the sun is shining and everything is perfect & soak in every second. Spend as much time with your friends as possible, especially those who will be far away after graduation. Laugh as much as you can, cry when you have to. Go read “The Opposite of Loneliness” by Marina Keegan and cry again. Hugs your friends. Hug them a lot. Go back to the Backer. Repeat any of these as often as you can.

How do I feel that SMC has prepared me for the “real world”? First and foremost, SMC awakened a confidence in me that I didn’t even know I had. You’ll be surprised how far that can take you. And the best part about a smaller liberal arts school like SMC is that you are challenged – you don’t just accept things, you’re expected to question them, to look for other ways, to find better answers. You’ve spent the past 4 years filling your brain with information, & you know how to use and apply it. What was I most thankful for during my time at SMC? My friends – they’re now getting married, buying houses, traveling the world, having kids… & I get to share in all of their joy, successes, frustrations, and setbacks. They’ll stand up at my wedding and be the godmothers of my future children. SMC wouldn’t have been the same without them, and I can’t image going through the rest of my life without them.

Oh God, graduation. I cried before graduation, I cried during graduation, I cried after graduation. I cried the whole way home. I don’t think there is much you can do to prepare for graduation, except to try to soak up as much SMC as you can before the day arrives. Know that even though you wish you could stay there forever, you aren’t meant to – you’re meant to forge a new path in the world past the Avenue and to have new experiences & do great things. Know that when you cry and feel like the world has grown a bit darker because you won’t be back at SMC In the fall, it means you were blessed to call a place as beautiful and amazing as SMC your home for so long. Not everyone has that kind of college experience (most of my high school friends didn’t & they thought I was crazy for how emotional I got).

Kathleen Arens – Class of 2013

First of all, I am most thankful for the friends that I met at SMC. The friends I made there have truly become my family and they are a huge part of what made my college experience so wonderful. I remember spending the morning of graduation day getting ready in Opus with my roommates. We were all sitting at the table getting ready, talking, and relaxing. I think that’s how graduation day should be spent – relaxed and with the friends you love. There is a lot that happens and a lot of people to see on graduation day so be sure to take a moment to relax and be thankful for the time you’ve had at SMC and the friends you made.

My main advice to graduates is to not spend too much time upset and worrying about life after graduation. I remember freaking out and worrying about what life post-college would be like. Don’t waste time worrying, just enjoy the time you have left at SMC. Post-grad life will be an adjustment, and it won’t always be easy, and not living with your best friends anymore will be hard. But you learn to adjust, your best friends will still be your best friends, things start to fall into place, and you will end up loving your life after graduation too. The best ways to get through the transition phase is to talk to your friends (they know exactly how you feel), try to embrace all of the “new-ness” and learn the ins and outs of your new job/school, cry (gotta let all of those feelings out!) and pray; especially pray. God will be the best support and guide of all.

Special thanks to these amazing women for their words of wisdom. You see Belles, we got this! Now stop worrying and go enjoy the time you have left. And when the day comes for us to go out into the real world- you may leave a piece of your heart here, but bring all of the memories, friends, and lessons along with you. Remember, the Avenue will always lead you home. And God will be with you every step of the way.

Go Belles!

Kristin Murphy

Saint Mary's

Kristin is a graduate student at the University of Pennsylvania working on her Master's in Social Work. She recently graduated from Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. Kristin is from Northport, New York and played the trumpet in the University of Notre Dame Band during college.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's