Navigating Your Career Path

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Whether you’re studying business or philosophy, going to medical school or attending career fairs, going on to grad school or counting the days till graduation, we all have the same, ultimate post-education goal: get a job. Of course, everyone’s career path is slightly different. Some may require extra school, while others go straight into the job force. Either way, we’re all just trying to feel like productive members of society, and get paid doing so! But with so many different paths to adulthood, how is one supposed to navigate her own? Better yet, how is one even supposed to choose a career path?

Enter Career Crossings. Career Crossings is Saint Mary’s career resource office. Their list of career resources is never-ending: Tests to see what career path is right for you, cover letter and resume reviews, job fairs, alumni networking, an online job board, career timelines based on both class year and career field, graduate school prep, LinkedIn help, professional headshots, resume printing, city living guides… You name it, they do it. They can even help you land a part-time babysitting gig!

Getting in-touch with the CCO is easy. If you’re in need of a quick resume review or just have a quick question to ask, stop by the Coffee and Career Chats, every Wednesday 11:30-1 in the Spes atrium. A career counselor will be there to help with all your on-the-go needs, and of course, there will be free coffee. You’re also welcome to stop by during open hours: Tuesdays 9:00 am to noon, or Thursdays 2:00-5:00 PM. Unfortunately, there won’t be coffee, but there will be plenty of career help! This is also a great time to look through the various handouts the CCO has for students, or check out a graduate school exam prep book from the CCO library.

You can also make an appointment by stopping at the office (First floor of Spes) or calling. Stacie Jeffirs and Sarah Enck are both helpful career counselors who can provide you with expert advice, handouts and practical action plans. The CCO also plans events throughout the school year, from the annual career fair to alumna networking and workshops. Some of this years’ programming includes workshops for each class year, Gear Up For Grad School, visiting hiring managers spilling their secrets, and an etiquette dinner. No matter what your career path, there’s probably a must-attend event for you. Stop by the CCO to get started on your career-action plan today!

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.