My Favorite Food Picks for the Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

While Thanksgiving has come and gone, the food stays with us throughout the holiday season. I started thinking about what was making me excited about the holiday.  Obviously, I’m ready to see my family and friends over break, but the highlight for me is definitely the meal.  Here are my favorite items ranked from my family’s typical meal.  

1. Stuffing

I look forward to stuffing every year. You really can’t justify making it any other time of the year so it definitely the thing I prioritize seconds for. There are also many different variations of this wonderful food (my aunt makes it with oysters) and every way is enjoyable.

2. Sweet Potato Casserole  Not sure what can get better than sweet potatoes with marshmallows on top. My grandma always makes extra so I can have leftovers.  

3. Dessert I don’t even need to explain this. Pumpkin everything.

4. Cheese Ball This is the ultimate appetizer. It’s a ball of cheese coated in walnuts scooped up with your choice of cracker. I prefer wheat thins. So good and always gone before dinner starts.  

5. Rolls Warm. Bread. Need I say more?

6. Mashed Potatoes and Gravy A classic.  My mom makes the best gravy from the turkey.  Can’t go wrong with these! 

7. Turkey Don’t get me wrong, I do love turkey, but I don’t prioritize it for seconds.  I do look forward to having it and it definitely is one of the best leftover items.  Turkey sandwiches for days.

8. Green Bean Casserole This is a controversial dish.  It’s a little crunchy, creamy, and is the closest thing I will see to a vegetable that day.  Definitely an underrated dish, but good nonetheless.  9. Deviled Eggs A staple at any holiday in my family.  I do really like them, but my cousins usually get to them before me so I don’t end up getting any.  RIP

10. Cranberry Jelly Sorry cranberry jelly.  If you’re not on the table, I really don’t miss you that much. But, it is really good on top of turkey! 

Make a list with your family over break and see what you guys agree and disagree on!  

Caroline Blue

Saint Mary's

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.