Meet Your New Student Body President and Vice President!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Meet Your New President and Vice President!

A huge congratulations to the newly elected 2014/2015 Student Body President, Kaitlyn Baker and Student Body Vice President, Maddie Kohler!

Get to know more about these fun-loving Belles and their huge hearts for everything Saint Mary’s.

Your President!

Name: Kaitlyn Baker

Hometown: Coronado, California 

Major: Communicative Sciences and Disorders 

Where are you living next year and with who?

Opus with Marissa Galloway!!!!!!

What are some of your favorite hobbies and activities? 

I love getting involved on campus (clearly), going to the movies, singing, hanging out with friends, traveling, and drinking coffee (that’s a hobby right?)  

Why did you choose SMC?

I applied to SMC to get my mom off my back about it and once I came to Meet Me at the Avenue I had a complete change of heart! I completely fell in love with the school. I loved the beautiful campus immediately and once I got to know what a wonderful community Saint Mary’s has I was sold! I knew Saint Mary’s would be a place I could really feel comfortable and flourish! 

Coffee or Tea? 

COFFEE err day 

What is your favorite food in the dining hall?

The egg white omelets mmmm 

What is your favorite part about SMC? 

I have to pick a favorite part?! The community. The people here are really what make Saint Mary’s home for me. I always say I think Saint Mary’s knows me better than I know myself! The wonderful community at Saint Mary’s has provided me with so many opportunities and great experiences! I have dreams coming true here that I didn’t even know I had! 

What is your favorite spot on campus?

The bench behind the cemetery that looks out into the field.

Where do you go/what do you do when you’ve had a bad day and need to clear your head?

I have a mug that my boyfriend gave me that says “Don’t forget to be awesome” on it. I fill that mug to the brim with hot coffee and hunker down with some Gilmore Girls. 

What is your favorite campus activity?

Really torturing me with this picking favorites thing… I really don’t think I can pick a favorite. I love going to an event I planned or even didn’t plan and seeing everyone enjoy it! As someone who has planned a lot of events on campus I know how much work goes into the events so seeing the women of Saint Mary’s have a good time is my favorite thing! 

Who has been your greatest inspiration while at Saint Mary’s?

I have SO many inspirations on this campus! There are so many women here to look up to. Since you are really into making me pick … I would have to say Melissa Fitzpatrick has been my greatest inspiration. She is another junior here and I wouldn’t be where I am without her. She is really the reason I’ve had as many opportunities as I have. She is always encouraging me to get involved and suggesting new things that she thinks I would succeed at. She is a great listener, a wonderful support and an amazing friend. Thanks Melissa! 

What are you most excited about for next year?

I cannot wait to begin working with Maddie to bring all of our ideas to life! I also cannot wait to work with my fellow Belles to bring their ideas to life and make this next year incredible for everyone! 

What do you want to be remembered as when you graduate next year? 

I want to be remembered as kind. Someone people remember as being a supportive and welcoming person who hopefully provided them with some great experiences and wonderful opportunities! 

What is your all time favorite quote?

“Stick to your principles” – Kristie Baker

This is a quote my mom always says, it’s kind of like her rule of thumb. 

Your VP!

Name: Maddie Kohler

Hometown: Philadelphia, PA

Major: Business Administration with a Marketing and International Business Concentration

Where are you living next year and with who? I am living in Dublin Village next year with my teammates and besties Krista Knapke and Eleni Shea! (still super close to smick!)

What are some of your favorite hobbies and activities? Watching Netflix (so happy House of Cards is back!), definitely hanging out with my friends for hours just talking and sharing stories! I also spend a lot of my time on the basketball court with my hoopsquad family.

Why did you choose Saint Mary’s? Saint Mary’s is in my blood! My father graduated from ND, my mom and sister graduated from SMC! I’ve been driving down the Avenue ever since I was a little baby and ever since then I’ve been in love. 

Coffee or Tea? Both! I’ll drink coffee only when I need it. Other than that, Yogi green tea all the way!

What is your favorite food in the dining hall? Definitely Mac n’ Cheese (even though I haven’t seen it in the DH for a while!) and fire roasted corn soup!

What is your favorite part about SMC? I love seeing familiar faces wherever I walk. Saint Mary’s is such a friendly place — I love saying hello to students, administration, and staff. I also love the Le Mans tunnel (super convenient)!

What is your favorite spot on campus? My favorite spot on campus is the Le Mans green. When the weather is nice I often times grab a blanket and sit outside to enjoy the view of the castle :)

Where do you go/what do you do when you’ve had a bad day and need to clear your head? When the weather is cooperating I definitely take a light jog to the grotto to say a prayer and ask God for help. When the weather isn’t right I go to my friends — they help me get my mind off things!

What is your favorite campus activity? One of my favorite activities is singing at Le Mans 7pm mass when my schedule allows it! It is a love of mine I had to give up when in high school but I am so glad I am able to share my voice when I can.

Who has been your greatest inspiration while at Saint Mary’s? All of the women of Saint Mary’s who are older than I am and have graduated before me have been my greatest inspiration at Saint Mary’s. They have inspired me to enjoy every second of college and make the most of every situation. I have truly come to love Saint Mary’s with all my heart because of the great tradition and the women who have walked the halls before me.

What are you most excited about for next year? I am excited about so many things! I really want to try to implement the Blinky App and many of the other goals Kaitlyn and I put on our platform. There are so many possibilities so this summer will certainly be busy! I am also super excited for Freshman Orientation because I have the most fun expressing my love and enthusiasm for Saint Mary’s and try to make the new students feel the same way! I am also definitely looking forward to becoming besties with President Mooney and all the other big cheeses in administration :)

What do you want to be remembered as when you graduate next year? I really want to be remembered as a woman who is always approachable and present on Saint Mary’s campus. I want to be remembered by Freshman all the way to Seniors for being a true Saint Mary’s Woman, showing my passion and spirit for the college wherever I go!

What is your all time favorite quote? Philippians 4:13 “I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.” 

Thanks, Kaitlyn and Maddie! Go Belles! 

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Photos provided by Emily

Emily James

Saint Mary's

Saint Mary's College, Notre Dame IN Nursing Major
Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!