Love Your Body Week 2015

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Tonight kicked off the start of Saint Mary’s annual “Love Your Body Week” (LYBW). This week is all about promoting healthy body image and learning to accept our flaws while resisting the unrealistic body expectations society holds today. 20% of college students experience eating disorders, so LYBW aims to combat this statistic by helping students at Saint Mary’s realize they are beautiful, no matter what size pant they wear. As Belles, we know we are powerful women, but sometimes we forget that that includes our bodies as well. Yes, we should all live a healthy lifestyle and be active, but we can’t forget that it’s okay to have that piece of pizza at dinner or that awesome dining hall cookie. It’s all about moderation and being happy with who you are, inside and out. There are some amazing events going on this week where us Belles can get together and celebrate our beauty, so make sure you come out! And you may even get a “Love Your Body Week” t-shirt complete with a cute pink bow and a Beyonce quote. 

Check out one or all of these events!

Monday: Student panel at 7 PM in Rice Commons. Hear students talk about their experiences and attitudes about body image in today’s society.

Tuesday: “The Journey”. Come hear the mother-daughter duo Courtney and Marci Crozier speak about their experience being on the hit TV show “The Biggest Loser”. This will take place in Carroll Auditorium at 7 PM.

Wednesday: Cookies and Canvas (Sorry guys! This one filled up fast and there are no longer any spots available.)

Thursday: #tbt Yoga at 7 PM in Angela. Wear your favorite 80’s themed workout clothes and get ready for some awesome music. And the workout will be worth it because there will be frozen yogurt after!

Friday: “Treat Yo-Self” party in the student center from 11-2. Come to the second floor and treat yo-self to tables including cupcakes, nail painting, Flourish Boutique goodies and jewelry! 

Photos provided by author