This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Listen to the Music is a song that was released on July 19, 1972 by The Doobie Brothers.

Plot twist: The Doobie Brothers aren’t brothers. They’re actually an American rock band. And I’m sure (or at least hope) you all know what a “doobie” is.

That’s beside the point.

I rarely find myself listening to a song and dissecting its true meaning. Listen to the Music is different. This is one of those songs that you can listen to a thousand times and it will never get old. I’ve also found an indirect message in this song after listening to it a thousand times.

“Don’t you feel it growin’, day by day

People gettin’ ready for the news

Some are happy, some are sad

Oh, we got to let the music play”

Some days, a utopian society seems like the answer. Let’s all just live the life of a hippie and sit around listening to music and.. eat.

It’s true. Us college kids push ourselves to our limit every single day. We think we can do it all. We think it will all come right to us. But we’re wrong. Yes, it’s ok to be wrong.

Step back and appreciate your life, friends, family, and health in this exact moment. Your life could be perfect right now and you don’t even know it.

Stress, anger, conflict and uncertainty are all a waste of your precious time. The college life is the perfect scenario. You will never have this much freedom again. Appreciate this moment.

What the people need

Is a way to make ’em smile

It ain’t so hard to do if you know how

Gotta get a message

Get it on through”

What makes you smile? Who makes you smile? Are you smiling right now? Maybe its time do get more doses of the things that make you happy.

Don’t have anything that makes you happy? Drop everything you’re doing and reevaluate your life. If you’re not studying or already doing something that you love, you will never be happy. Blunt but true.

The message is the answer. What’s your message?

* Song proceeds to talk about dancing in fields *

A utopian world would be great for a day, but we need adversity in our lives. We need experiences to teach us lessons. Without learning experiences, we wouldn’t end up exactly where we need to be.

“Like a lazy flowing river

Surrounding castles in the sky

And the crowd is growing bigger

Listenin’ for the happy sounds

And I got to let them fly”

This is my castle. This place has taught me more than just microeconomics, sociology, and speech and hearing sciences. The “lazy flowing river” (also known as the past 2 years of my college career) I learned what exactly makes me smile. My crowd is growing bigger as I surround myself with the things that mean the most to me. The Doobie Brother’s are right, it wasn’t hard to do.

It’s always the most random and unexpected things that affect you the most.

Photos provided by the author

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitter, and Instagram!

Katie Calhoun

Saint Mary's

20 years old. From Fairview, Texas. Junior at Saint Mary's College. Class of 2016. Communications, Advertising, and Marketing studies. Katie Calhoun runs on Dunkin. 
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's