Life Lessons College Has Taught Me

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

I still cannot believe it. I am a second semester senior. It seems like it was not that long ago I was graduating high school, packing up all my belongings, and heading off to my first year of college. Fast forward three and a half years and here I am applying for jobs, counting down the weekends I have left going out with my friends, and preparing to graduate college in just a few short months! Even though it may not seem like it all the time, I have come a long way in three and a half years. I not only learned and grew inside the classroom, but outside as well. Here are four life lessons I have learned on this crazy journey they call college!

1. It is OKAY to fail

Failure is something I’ve always had a hard time grasping. During my first year of college I did not get a passing grade on a psychology test. I thought it was the end of the world! I can remember calling my parents crying to them about how terrible I did. I have learned though that failure is not always a bad thing. Ever since that test, I have made sure to study more and prepare properly for exams and now it is rare that I get below an A-. Failure can sometimes bring you to better things in the future!

2. Not all friendships last

College has taught me that friends may come and go, and that is nothing to stress over! Even if friendships don’t work out, it is okay to still cherish the memories you share with that person.

3. Know how to be comfortable with yourself  

College has allowed me to realize that it is okay to be alone! During my first year, I always felt like I needed to be doing things with other people. I have now learned that there is nothing wrong with spending some time by yourself. I have found that I enjoy eating a meal alone every once in a while in the dining hall or skipping going out in a large group to watch a movie by myself. It gives me time to unwind and not have to worry about anything else going on.

4. Family is everything

Not being with my mom, dad, and brother everyday has made me realize that I cannot take the time I spend with them for granted. Before coming to college, I saw my family almost every day. Now I only have the select weekends I come home and breaks. These last three and a half years have made me realize that family is one of my top priorities.

Every time I get sad thinking about how I am a second semester senior and all of this is about to end, I remind myself that these past few years have provided me with so much. These are only four lessons I will be taking away when I leave Saint Mary’s, but I know that there are so many more and much more to come in the future!

Lauren is happily living life as a Communication Studies Major at Saint Mary's College. When not writing for Her Campus or studying for classes, she can be found binge watching reality TV or obsessing over Notre Dame Football.
Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.