It’s the Holiday Season?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

By the time students had made it home on Halloween night (or morning), department stores had already “grown” trees, sprinkled “snow”, and started up the shopping spectacular.  So get ready ladies… it’s Christmas time.

*Put on Mariah Carey’s “All I want For Christmas Is You” now*

For many, the rush of the Christmas season is “wrong” and takes away the true meaning of Christmas. But for others, it is a time to give and take in the blessings they have. Why not take an extra three weeks to give thanks? It’s not like there is a holiday to celebrate giving thanks or anything…

So here comes the Catholic-school girl in me. It is completely wrong to take one of the most sacred times of the year and glamorize it for the good of businesses. And while we hesitate to accept the artificial Christmas season, as long as we remember to keep the Christ in Christmas, isn’t it silly to postpone the celebration of the one who gave his life for us?  That reminds me- here is your public service announcement. Remain patient with “Creasters.” Your spot in mass will be vacant again in just a few weeks.

With the media being behind the master plan to rush Christmas, it is no wonder that we fall into the trap that is Black Friday and ugly sweater parties.  So I say, why not embrace the cheesiness that can be Christmas time? Bake cookies with your mom, and get ready to tell all of your family members that you still don’t have a boyfriend. Enjoy this time to give and embrace the happiness around you. Before we know it, we will be in the midst of a South Bend winter only hoping to rush into the spring time. (Ironic isn’t it?) So here’s to the season of Buddy the Elf and Advent Calendars because whether we are ready or not, it’s the most wonderful time of the year.

Sarah McKevitt

Saint Mary's

So happy to be a part of HCSMC! Lover of all things with a french cross, aspiring speech pathologist, class of '17. Go belles