If You’re Asking Pope Francis…Girls Rock

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

This month, Pope Francis was recognized as Time’s Person of the Year for 2013! As a practicing Catholic, I was more than pleased when I heard this news. I have gone to Catholic school my entire life, even into college, and it has been the greatest decision of my (my parents’) life. From the plaid jumpers in grade school to the parietals in college, I have been trained to behave in such a way that has made me the structured and cooperative person I am today. So, it is nice to finally see such a prominent, Catholic figure be the person of the year, according to Time, at least. 

Pope Francis has been the driving force in the Vatican for the past nine months and has turned a lot of heads in his papacy. In reading about things he feels strongly about, I discovered that his view of women is that of strong appreciation. Pope Francis said in an April homily of last spring, that, “women, more than men, tend to possess sensitivity, intuition, and other distinctive skills sets.” (Yeah, Pope Francis!)

From the standpoint of a student at an all-women’s Catholic college, this lifts my spirit that much more. (#GoBelles!) His high regard for women has inspired Catholic females everywhere to be more involved with their parishes and church happenings.  Pope Francis has made women feel equal in their faith and in their role in society. We can do all men can do (except be priests, of course) and can excel at any job a man can have. Pope Francis says this and more prominently argues that men should not have a “corner” on women and only picture them in the motherly- cooking aspects of life. He states, “Women are geniuses. They have soft qualities.” 

Ah, shucks, Pope Francis, you’re making me blush.

As far as the priesthood is concerned, Pope Francis says that, “The reservation of the priesthood to males, as a sign of Christ the Spouse who gives himself in the Eucharist, is not a question open to discussion.” This being said, Pope Francis is giving a new way of saying, “Jesus was male…therefore priests must be male.” This argument has become something so common and repetitive that it seems redundant for people to even discuss.

Pope Francis states, “The priesthood is for service, not for power. Too often, these are entangled and confused.” This does not erase his strong appreciation of us, fabulous women.

So, thanks Pope Francis, for making us girls feel so important and prominent!  We wouldn’t want anybody else to be person of the year! You are ALWAYS welcome at Saint Mary’s!

Photos provided by the author

Hannah Drinkall

Saint Mary's

Hannah graduated Saint Mary's College (May 2016) with a major in Communication Studies & a minor in Public Relations & Advertising. She was the Campus Correspondent of Her Campus Saint Mary's, which she co-founded in December 2013. She's from Florida, and she is now working in New York City with New York Times best selling author, Adriana Trigiani. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, @hannahdrinkall!