I Get by With a Little Help From My Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

It’s been a while since I’ve written an article. Of course, I decided to sit down at 11:30pm when I still have over 10 pages of my Literature Review to edit — perfect timing, I know. Okay, okay, yes, I’m procrastinating. But I can only re-read my work on Stereotype Threat, Athletic Subculture, and the Glorified Self so many times! In light of procrastinating my senior comprehensive it only seemed fitting that I throw out a few thank you’s to those who have been along for the ride.

First and foremost, thank you to my comp group and advisor! Honestly, where would we all be without group messages that involve texts like “wait, what are we supposed to be doing?” I’d like to tell you I’ll miss the never-ending messages of confusion, but I won’t. Counting down the days until I am no longer contacting you all about proper APA citation.

Second, thank you to all three of my roommates who have listened to me complain day in and day out about this project. We all complete a senior comp, I just seem to be slightly more dramatic compared to the three of you (who’s surprised though?). Really, you guys deserve awards for all of the times I was on the verge of tears because “I just can’t do it!” And a special shout out to Jessie for editing this thing. Have I mentioned I REALLY appreciate you reading my 20+ pages of findings?

This last one goes out to my dear friend, Emily. For the past 8 to 9 months, Emily has been my go to regarding all things senior comp. Although we decided to take different routes in the methods we chose (still not sure why you’re not in qualitative research…) she has listened to me complain about the process, and then five minutes later geek out about my findings, all while we question why we chose this major (all in good fun of course, we love comm.). Emily has seen this entire project unfold, just like I have hers. From January to now, I’d say we’ve come a long way.

I think it’s safe to say I won’t be the only one thrilled when December 6th rolls around and I have officially completed this project. So as the semester is coming to an end, don’t forget to thank the people who have been along for the ride. We all know you can’t get through college alone, so don’t forget to recognize those that make your stressful times more bearable, and maybe even enjoyable.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.