I Don’t Know Where I’m Going and That’s Okay

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Lately I’ve felt like I have something to do every second of every day and feel like it’s impossible to get it all done.

In the middle of stressing over how to study for three tests in one day, I decided to add more pressure to my life by suddenly freaking out because I have no idea what I want to do with my life.  Around this time last year, the question that always followed “where are going to college?” was “what are you going to major in?” I always had to answer that with “I am undecided”. While my answer has remained the same, I have learned to change my attitude about it. I no longer feel embarrassed or fear the thought of telling people that I have absolutely no idea what I will major in or where I am going in life. Some people know from a young age exactly what they want to do and others, like me, hesitate at the question that every young child is asked, “what do you want to be when you are older?” I’ve come to learn that either of these scenarios are perfectly okay.

If you wanted to be a doctor or a teacher when you were five years old and you still want to do that now, that’s great! But it is important to remember that we’ll always have an opportunity to change our minds. Further down the road, we will all find what we are meant to do, and even when that does happen, it might change again. If you are someone who has no idea what you want to do in college and beyond, do not fear. I promise you, you are not alone. Many people do not know what they want and that is alright! After all, life without a little mystery is plain boring. If you are on the search for your passion you must be accepting. You must be able to accept change and failure, have a little faith, and understand that good things take time.

Marie is from a suburb near Chicago, Illinois. She enjoys spending time with her friends and family, and traveling to new places. When she's not writing or working hard on school work you can find her attending Notre Dame football games, watching Netflix or snacking on something sweet (or chicken nuggets).
Claire Condon

Saint Mary's

I think in Instagram captions.