This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

I don’t know about everyone else, but I really needed fall break this semester.  Between classes, working, completing my senior comp, and making time to hang out with my friends I have been crazy busy.  As I think about the pile of homework I decided to avoid over break, I know I need to find motivation.  When all I want to do is sleep rather than get my work done, here are a few things I do to keep my energy high and my stress low.

1. Workout. This might not be everyone’s first instinct, but I always feel so accomplished after I have a great workout.  As you might know, working out releases endorphins in the brain and reduces stress.  When I feel good, I do good work.  Take time to try a new workout or get a run in while the weather is still relatively nice in South Bend.  I never regret a workout.  

2. Make a To-do list. Sometimes to motivate myself, I need to write down everything I have to do and scare myself a little bit.  When I actually see what I need to do, I’m more inclined to get things done so I can cross things off of my list.  Also something I find very satisfying.   

3. Have a change of scenery. It’s super boring to do homework in the same place all of the time.  Skip the library and maybe go to Starbucks or Chicory Cafe downtown.  It gets you off campus and also gives you an excuse to get a cup of coffee. 

4. Take time to relax. I know, it seems counterproductive to do nothing when you have projects, tests, and papers due, but I promise it is something you have to do.  Taking time to relax and recharge will help you do better work because you have given your mind time to rest.  Watch some Netflix, paint your nails, or go get your groove on at newfs.  You can’t forget to have fun too.

Next time you are laying in your bed mindlessly scrolling through Instagram avoiding all of the work you have to do, just make the decision to get moving.  For me, the hardest part of doing something is actually starting it.  Hopefully these tips will help you get and stay motivated for the rest of the semester.  Happy Studying!   

Caroline Blue

Saint Mary's

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.