How to Choose a Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

I am one of those people that changed their major a million times before settling on the right one. This spring, I will graduate with a major in Political Science and Communication Studies. It was complicated road that led me to studying in these fields, but with these tips, you will be able to pick the major that is perfect for you, even if you don’t know what you want to be when you grow up.  

1. Think about what you like to do

Consider your hobbies, extracurricular activities, and other things you like to do in your free time. If you participate in College Democrats, you could consider a major in Political Science. If you love watching Grey’s Anatomy, you could consider a Biology major. If you are already spending your time doing these things, maybe you could turn it into your major!

2. Think about what you like to study

It’s a great idea to think about the things you are going to have to study before you choose a major. You might like the idea of being an Engineering major, but if you didn’t realize you would have to take chemistry courses, you could be in for some tough classes! You can easily look up the required courses for every major on the Saint Mary’s website or in the yearly Bulletin.

3. Look into possible careers / internships

If you’re interested in a certain type of career, try looking up possible internships in this career to see if they are looking for a person with a particular major. When I was first looking for internships, I was drawn to public relations positions, which all required majors in the Communications field. This is what led me to trying my first Comm class, and eventually becoming a Communication Studies major! Search your favorite companies for internship positions or look on Indeed for jobs you are interested in.

4. Follow your heart

This is the most important step! You shouldn’t pick a major just because you think it will make you super rich and successful. That will cause a lot of heartbreak when you are studying something you just aren’t interested in, and then possibly end up in a job you don’t like. It’s important to follow your heart, and follow you dreams when choosing your major.

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.