Girl Power On Time’s Top Teens List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

TIME recently released their annual list of the 30 most influential teens in the world. TIME analyzes social media presence, accolades received, and global impact to pick the teens that seem to be making the biggest influence in the world. It’s a mix between celebrities, activists, an inventors. Either way, they’ve all done something incredible with their lives before even reaching adulthood. The youngest is only 13! The best part of TIME’s list is the number of girls on it who are making a huge difference in the world. Years ago, women barely had a voice, especially young women, but TIME’s list is proof that times are changing. Here are some of the world’s most influential young women, according to TIME:

Malia Obama, age 17:

It wouldn’t be a list of the world’s most influential teens without the First Daughter. Everything Malia does, from what she’s wearing to what colleges she’s visiting, instantly goes viral. While she could easily just use being the First Daughter as a claim to fame, Malia is out to get her own success and recognition. This summer, she had an internship working on the TV set of HBO’s Girls.

Olivia Hallisey, age 17:

The Ebola virus has been making a lot of headlines this year, and this teen’s discoveries have us one step closer to stopping this epidemic. Ebola is most prevalent in rural third-world areas, where they don’t have access to the technology needed to test for the virus. Luckily, Olvia Hallisey has discovered a way to test for Ebola that doesn’t require electricity, so now rural areas will be able to make better diagnoses and treat people sooner.

Jazz Jennings, age 15:

Jazz Jennings isn’t your average teenage girl. In fact, she was born a boy, but has living as a girl since the young age of 5. It takes a lot of bravery to transition, especially at a young age, and Jazz hasn’t been afraid to share her story. Her TLC show I Am Jazz is a hit, and she has a Clean and Clear ad campaign. By being open about her transgender life, Jazz is redefining normal.

Ariel Winter, age 17:

You probably know her as sassy and smart Alex on Modern Family. This year, she made national headlines by getting breast reduction surgery. She was sick of the media constantly paying more attention to her appearance instead of her accomplishments, and hated how magazines would turn her into a sexual object. Since her surgery, Ariel says she’s much happier and more confident with her body.

Bethany Mota, age 19:

Bethany is one of the most followed girls in the world. She has 9.5 million subscribers on YouTube, and 5 million followers on Instagram. Though her Youtube videos are about beauty and fashion, Bethany has explored a wide range of fields. She has a line of clothes and décor for Aeropostale, releases her own music, works with UNICEF, and even interviewed President Obama. Talk about busy!

Be sure to follow HCSMC on FacebookTwitterInstagram and Pinterest!

Interested in writing for or being apart of HCSMC?

E-mail hannahdrinkall@hercampus.com or thereseburke@hercampus.com for inquiries!

Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's