photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash
photos by lanty zUU73lEdcBU unsplash

FURever Loving the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

In anticipation for the holidays, I would like to take this time to reminisce about the holidays …  and pets. Now it seems that these do not correlate, but I challenge you to bear with me. I would like to stray from your typical joy filled, holiday fun type of article. I make no promises that it will not creep in, but I do hope the addition of pets will suit your fancy. Sit back, get in front of a fire place, grab your cat, dog, lovebird, ferret, and/or fish tank because it is about to get ADORABLE!  Full disclosure I currently thrive in a cat and dog household and several other critters to give myself a variety of knowledge just for this purpose. Each holiday that is celebrated in my household allows for more fun in store for my pets. 

Usually, I do not dress up my dogs or cats on a normal day. However, I will make exceptions for this time of year. Looking at this past Halloween, stuffing my dogs into costumes made me want to curl into a ball of cuteness with them. We were also able to go trick or treating as a happy family. This event we went to had treats for people and dogs, which made it that much better! Before the weather gets too cold for them, Halloween can usually give your pets one last hurrah outside. 

As Thanksgiving rolls around, it serves as a treat for the pets. If they do not enjoy dressing in costumes during Halloween do not fret for they are able to reap the benefits of excess food consumption by their owners. Our beloved pets will be able to snack on dropped morsels and leftovers from gorged owners. If you are dedicated, there are still many costume options for Thanksgiving. For example: cornucopia, pilgrim, pumpkin pie, turkey, mashed potatoes, a Macy’s Day Parade float, etc. The possibilities are endless! 

Hold onto your whiskers because it is about to get cuter! During Christmas time any type of pet you may have is able to play in wrapping paper and gift boxes all day. If it is a cold, snowy day then you and your pets can snuggle under a blanket together! During snowy times I have to put something on my dogs when they go outside to the bathroom. Therefore, I have the excuse to put Christmas sweaters on them! Matching sweaters for myself and my dogs would cause me to combust from an overload of cute pictures that could be created. In my dogs stockings they can get candy cane bones to enjoy and my cats can get Christmas themed toys. There are also many options for Christmas costumes too!  

As these thoughts and ideas are brought up, I am thinking about how the holidays can be improved drastically with these additions. Sometimes the joyous emotions during the holidays can leave out the joy that pets bring the majority of the time. With these ideas your other non-human family members can just elevate your holiday cheer and even holiday cards sent out! I am overloading with cute ideas, so I hope these thoughts can improve any holiday fun that are a part of your lives during this time of year! 

A senior at Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, IN studying Theatre, Film, and English. An avid lover of indie films, thrift stores, and color coding. Trying to do it all, sometimes succeeding.