Cutting Out the Caffeine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

About 10 months ago I went caffeine free. Here are a few things I have learned along the way:

1. Caffeine is expensive:

I may never officially get rid of my Starbucks addition but my wallet has thanked me for cutting back on iced coffees and peppermint mochas. Two or three trips a week adds up quickly and even K-cups are expensive. My caffeine-free drinks at Starbucks are almost two dollars cheaper. 

2. Saying no is hard:

Caffeine is essentially a staple in every college student’s life. It isn’t the easiest thing to avoid, especially when an ice-cold diet coke is sitting right next to you. Don’t give in! You can resist it! When you do have a hankering for something other than water or LaCroix (pretty much the only things I drink) a sprite or root beer can solve it!

3. When your body is tired… LISTEN to it.

Most of my college career I would spend hours in the library planning out my cups of coffee or diet cokes to help keep myself focused and awake. This is one of the worst things you can do to your body. I have found that a 20-minute nap can solve those tired eyes much better than a cup of caffeine could.

4. Less anxiety

Growing up I never had the slightest bit of anxiety but drinking caffeine always seemed to put me a bit on edge and make me anxious. Anxiety isn’t good for anyone! Caffeine makes our bodies jittery and hyper aware; this can’t be healthy.

5. Happiness!

There are so many other wonderful ways to energize your body. By cutting out caffeine I drink about 3-4 more glasses of water a day. My body is overall healthier and happier without caffeine. Instead of getting a coffee, take a nap, go for a run, or eat an apple!

here to express never to impress.
Colleen Zewe

Saint Mary's '18

I love fall, holidays, PSLs and forcing my dog to take pictures with me for Snapchat.