Confessions of a Coffee Addict

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

No shame, ladies. No shame in downing that third cup before noon. No shame in going to bed giddy because you know that with the morning comes a steaming hot mug of roasted goodness.  No shame because, let’s be honest, what’s going to get you out of bed for your 8am (or 9 or 10am…) if not coffee?

Maybe it’s the caffeine (logical conclusion), or maybe it’s the sweet-nectar-from-the-gods flavor (my personal suggestion)—whatever the case, sign me up for intervention because I am an all too willing addict. Curious if you, too, are affected by this condition? Symptoms include an obsession with the scent of coffee beans, devoting an entire drawer to Kcups, and possessing an excessive mug collection (I’m at thirteen, but who’s counting?). Still not sure? Here’s a few more conditions…

You fall asleep at night dreaming of that hot mug of coffee you will chug in the morning.

Consequently, it’s the only thing that can drag your butt out of bed in the morning.

If you don’t drink it black, you feel guilty—like you’re a phony in the coffee-addict world, but you can’t help it because CoffeeMate made chocolate chip cookie into a creamer and how do you say no to cookies in your coffee?

You’re willing to drink it in 80+ degree weather (hellooo first two months at SMC).

You’re pretty sure it runs through your bloodstream at this point.

If could bathe in coffee, you probably would. Okay. Definitely would.

If you are a cream-in-your-café kinda gal, you know exactly what shade it needs to be.

You’re not sure if the Keurig is a beautiful thing for giving you a cup of coffee in record time or a cruel thing for only making a single cup at a time.

The more cups you drink in a day, the more you feel like a Gilmore, and that is a beautiful thing.

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.