Confessions of a Carboholic- #KaleYES

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

This year, I am living in Opus, which means I have my own kitchen to create delicious gourmet meals in three times a day.

Well, that’s the dream, anyway. I usually end up consuming different combinations of carbs all day long leaving me feeling dissatisfied and like I’m on the verge of contracting scurvy. The only vegetables I really know how to make are green beans (a staple in my apartment) and the occasional frozen pea dish.

During my fifth Target trip last week, I picked up a box of organic kale in a last ditch attempt to save myself from inevitable malnutrition. While it isn’t the most appetizing vegetable, I discovered a few ways to integrate it into the endless carb meals I was already making. Here are a few of my favorites!

Bagel with Egg Whites, Avocados, and Kale

Level of Kale-ness 4/5. The taste of kale is really strong in this dish because I just put the raw kale on my bagel. I actually ended up taking 90% of it off. Oh well- Avocados are vegetables, right?

How to:

Separate your eggs (I usually have 2) and put the egg yolks to the side

Heat up some butter in a pan. Cook the egg whites with salt and pepper until they are firm.

Toast your bagel!

Smear an avocado on one half of the bagel, then add your cooked egg whites.

Sprinkle a hefty serving of our favorite green leafy super food to complete your sandwich.

Farfalle Pasta with Chicken, Sautéed Kale and Mushrooms, with Alfredo sauce

How to:

Make a serving of bow-tie pasta.

Heat up butter in a pan with minced garlic. Add mushrooms and kale. Cook until the mushrooms are browned and the kale has wilted. Add alfredo sauce and spices.

Mix together!

Fruit Smoothie with a touch of Kale

Level of kale-ness: .5/5!

The fruits and juice really mask the flavor of kale in this smoothie. You won’t even know how healthy you are being!

How to:

In your blender add frozen berries, yogurt, chia seeds, sweetened coconut, orange juice, and kale.

Blend and enjoy!

I hate to admit it, but I love kale (Basic healthy millennial, much?). It’s so easy to add to the things I love to eat and it creates endless options for yummy, healthy meals. And yes, these dishes are satisfying even for the most carb-obsessed cook!

Allie Royce

Saint Mary's '18

Hope you find my work relatable and humorous.