Campus Cuties: Shannon Sullivan & Bridget Packey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Catch up with besties, Shannon and Bridget while they are studying abroad in Ireland!

Hometown:

Shannon: Chico, California (two hours north of Sacramento!)

Bridget: Satellite Beach, Florida (On a barrier island east of Orlando)

Year- Sophomores! #classof2017

Major:

Shannon: Social Work

Bridget: Elementary Education with a Minor in Early Childhood Development and Religious Studies

How did you two meet?

Shannon: We lived in the same dorm, and are both in band, so knew a lot of the same people and just ended up hanging out together. We didn’t have to try very hard, and it was just meant to be

Bridget: I just came back home and she was chillin in front of my couch #loveatfirstsight

What are some of your favorite memories so far from being in band?

Shannon: Oh man, there are so many. The Sophomore Clarinets have a group prayer down by the lake that we do before marchout (after concert on the steps), and I really enjoy it. It’s like a little reminder that no matter how crazy things get, we always have each other. The trip to New York freshman year for the bowl game was really fun, and I actually spent it all with Bridget. We walked around, shopped, took a very romantic pedi-cab ride through Central Park, and acted crazy and weird as we do.

Bridget: I concur. As cheesy as it is, I have also really enjoyed meeting and getting to know everybody in band. It’s the only human interaction that doesn’t stress me out. It gives me something to look forward to every day.

Shannon: Yeah, the people are definitely the best part. Trips would be lame without all your best friends there.

What is your favorite part about game days at ND?

Bridget: HERE COMES THE IIIIIRISH….OF NOOOOOTRE DAAAAAAMMME. Besides that though, I love the overall atmosphere. Everyone is happy and for the most part there is such comradery among everyone and it makes me smile.

Shannon: I agree. There’s this incredible energy at Notre Dame on game days and it’s amazing. This may be random, but I also really enjoy game day lunches. All of the singing cracks me up, and since calories don’t count I get double servings of fro-yo (at least). Standing in the tunnel and then trotting out onto the field for pregame is one of the most exhilarating experiences of my life, and I look forward to it each week.

Bridget: TROT TROT TROTTROTTROT TROT TROT TROTTROTTROT TROT TROT TROTTROTTROT TROT, EVERYBODY! (you know you sang it)

Use three words to describe each other-

Shannon: My love life ;) (actually the first word I thought of was ‘queef’ but I decided that was inappropriate haha)

Bridget: First of all, let me explain the queefing thing.  I don’t go around queefing or anything, that’s gross.  I just find the concept of queefing hilarious so I joke about it a lot. Anyway, my three words: More than words, I don’t know, Too much pressure

Shannon: No but actually, I would have to say ‘Goofy, Lovely, Bae’ for Bridget because I love her more than anything. Or maybe “Wiggle with it” because that’s what we do. How about “Too many options?”

Male & Female celebrity crushes-

*this is a hard question, so we are answering with multiples

Shannon: Jennifer Lawrence and Emma Watson, and Chris Hemsworth and Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Bridget: My celebrity crushes list could probably outweigh the Bible, so this took some time. Miranda Lambert and Carrie Underwood for the girls. Too many for the men, but if I had to choose I would say Blake Shelton. My theory is that I met and touched Miranda Lambert, Miranda Lambert has had sex with Blake Shelton, so basically I’ve had sex with Blake Shelton.

Shannon: I’m about to put that

Bridget: Haha no! Don’t forget Luke Bryan!

What are your current Netflix binging shows?

Shannon: House of Cards. Frank Underwood is crazy, but I can’t get enough. I’m going to watch Friends or something after this though, just because too much intensity is bad

Bridget: One Tree Hill. Always One Tree Hill. Also, Doctor Who and Sherlock.

What is your favorite food in the SMC DH?

Bridget: Cookies, triangular hashbrowns, cookies, tater-tots, cookies, hard-boiled eggs, and cookies.

Shannon: Yeah, why is this a question? Duh the cookies. The hashbrowns are delicious though as well.

Bridget: Obviously we live the healthy life.

What is your favorite thing about studying abroad / Ireland in general?

Bridget: It’s beautiful and green. The accessibility to other countries is great for exciting adventures.  Everyone here is grand and understanding of our naivety as tourists. Hahah  It’s funny when you’re in a big city and you stand off to the side of the road and pull out a map because you’re a tourist and you have no idea what’s going on, and then someone comes up to you and asks if we need help. The first few times it was embarrassing, but then we embraced our inner tourist and welcomed the help. Hahaha

Shannon: The people here are so incredibly nice and open. I love meeting and talking to people, so being surrounded by others who like to talk just as much is like a dream come true for me. I also just like the opportunity to explore and understand another country; it’s really opened my eyes to a lot of things.

What do you miss most about SMC while being abroad?

Bridget: Smicks, not having to walk twenty minutes to get to class, and practically everything about Saint Mary’s

Shannon: Yeah, basically everything about school here is so different from back at Saint Marys. I really miss the community and family Saint Mary’s has created. Also, having to wear a bra and look nice before going to every class is a struggle.

What life lessons have you learned so far by studying abroad?

Shannon: You can live off of pb&j, rice cakes, and 40c cookies for more than a week and be okay. Things can get tough and you will get stressed out, but as long as you are able to enjoy and appreciate what’s happening around you, life is good and things get better.  

Bridget: Wow. Well that was an intense answer. Am I allowed to say ditto? Because I agree, except I prefer Nature Valley bars.  Oh and also, when you have a crush on a Scottish boy for 8 or 9 nine years throughout elementary school and have wanted to go to Scotland since Kindergarten, don’t worry dreams do come true.  You will awkwardly Facebook stalk him, message him while you’re in his city and walk around Edinburgh together talking about life. My childhood dream was fulfilled.

Shannon: Haha copycat ;) As cheesy as this may sound, I’ve also realized just how important it is to surround yourself with people who accept and love you for who you are, but who also push you to be better. I’ve had some low points while being abroad, and having my friends there to help me through it has been such a blessing.

Where have you / do you plan to travel while abroad?

We both have traveled around Ireland a lot. We’ve been to Cork, Blarney Castle, Dublin, The Hill of Tara, Bray, Wicklow Mountains, and Glendalough. I’m sure there are more, but it’s hard to remember haha. For Easter Break we got to travel to London, Edinburgh, and Glasgow for the week, and it was incredible (although the Pound is terrible). We’re planning on going to the Cliffs of Mohr with the other Saint Mary’s girls in May as well.

Bridget: I have also been to Galway and traveled around Ireland a little more with my parents. My brother is coming to visit soon, and we want to go back to the Scottish highlands to go camping. Then my best friend from home is coming while my brother is still here and we are going to Italy.  After my brother leaves, my friend and I are going on some crazy adventure all over the world including Barcelona, Greece, Vienna, Berlin, Paris, Amsterdam and eventually ending up in Copenhagen.

Shannon: I’m planning on travelling with my parents when they show up as well, and I want to hopefully get to Amsterdam, Germany, Prague, or Barcelona while I’m here. Money is a little tight right now though, so we’ll see how that goes. Being in Ireland is such a huge thing for me by itself though that I’m fine with just experiencing all it has to offer me.

If any of us Smicks travel to Ireland, where do we definitely need to go visit?

Bridget: Cliffs of Mohr! Honestly, everywhere in Ireland is beautiful and you don’t have to go very far to find some place that is breathtaking. If I had to choose though, I would say Blarney Castle, and the grounds of Blarney are amazing.  Giant’s Causeway is also unbelievable, and there are no words that will do it justice.

Shannon: Blarney Castle! You can go literally everywhere there, nothings off limits, and it’s super cool and beautiful. Glendalough is also super incredible as long as you like hiking and mountains (which I do). I would also say visit a bog, just because they are really fascinating and good at preserving things (like butter and people). Don’t be like Bridget and fall into them though, because they can get kinda messy. We can’t forget Maynooth either! It’s an amazing little town, although I may be biased. The Roost is the best. Go visit it, and say hi to Joe, Donal, Philip, and Niall for all of us.

Anything else you want to share with your Smicks back in the states?

Bridget: I love and miss you all.  Remember that you go to an amazing school full of phenomenal people and opportunities! Take advantage of everything Saint Mary’s does for you, because while I’ve been over here it’s become very apparent that a lot of schools don’t provide their students with these opportunities. Saint Mary’s really does go the extra mile for the girls.

Shannon: Appreciate all that Saint Mary’s is and all the opportunities it gives you. It’s a very special place full of unforgettable people and experiences. I totally agree with Bridget though too, you never really know how good you have it until it’s gone, and Saint Mary’s is pretty amazing.

Both: And finally, #gobelles

Photos provided by Shannon and Bridget 

Kristin Murphy

Saint Mary's

Kristin is a graduate student at the University of Pennsylvania working on her Master's in Social Work. She recently graduated from Saint Mary's College in Notre Dame, Indiana. Kristin is from Northport, New York and played the trumpet in the University of Notre Dame Band during college.
Therese Burke

Saint Mary's