Campus Celebrity: Isabella Quiroga ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Saint Mary's chapter.

Leaving your home state for college is one thing, but leaving your home country is a whole other experience. This beauty from Bolivia traveled 4,237 miles to attend Saint Mary’s.  

Year: Freshman

Hometown: La Paz, Bolivia

Intended Major (s): Undecided currently, but I’m thinking of doing global economics with a minor in Italian  

Why did you decide to come to Saint Mary’s?I applied because my aunt graduated from here. She loved it so much. I also wanted to go to a small school, not a large one. However, it was when I received my admission letter, that helped me decide. It was so personal, and I loved how they did that.

How did you learn English so well? (Spanish is her native language).I attended an American school in Bolivia in fifth grade. My teachers were from the states as well. Learning English was hard at first, but I practiced a lot.

What do you like most about the US?I love having all of the seasons because I don’t see that where I live. I also like the people here. They’re really kind and welcoming.

Where else have you been? Columbia, Chilé, Mexico, Argentina 

Favorite place: Yungas, which is two hours from my hometown, and it’s kind of like a jungle. My grandparents have a house there, and my family and I vacation there a lot. The weather is nicer than my city. I love the mountains over there too.

Are you adjusting well to the college life? Yes, it was kind of hard at first because I didn’t know anyone. However, now it’s good and I love it.

Favorite food: Any type of pasta

Future traveling plans? I’d love to travel around Europe, especially Italy. Anywhere would be awesome.

Dream career: A career where I can travel around the world and at the same time help people, but I’m not sure what that is quite yet

Favorite music: All types of music but especially Latino music

Favorite word: Hope

What would be the title of your autobiography? Life is Beautiful

Thanks, Isabella!